Thoughts on repower

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
My current thoughts are to keep my 2004 Marlin for a long time. I have already updated the electronics recently. I currently have 2004 f225s and are considering repowering to f300 now rather than later. My thought is that if I do it now, I would receive a better trade in for the f225, the price of the new outboards are only going up in the future. I would choose Yamaha due to dealer support. If I just run the f225 into the ground over the upcoming years, the resale would go down, and I would now be repowering an even older boat with even more expensive outboards. That's my justification- Ha! The extra power would be nice for the long runs to the fishing grounds. Reliability is important to me, I use the boat for primarily fishing in the Rhode Island area.

I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences. This is my potential first time repower.
Thanks

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
that's pretty much it. not a lot to add.

if the 225's are clean (no corrosion) then using them till they're done gets all you can from the engines. repowering at eol will leave you open to availability at "critical" time, price increases, poor bargaining position yada, yada. but, newest technology.

if you want new engines now: better bargaining position, your timeline, eyes out for bargains on YES, residual value on trade/sale, etc, etc.

and the age of the boat should not be overly concerning since you paid for longevity of the hull.

whatever you do, i would highly recommend digital. good luck, ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would run them into the ground. The F225 doesn't have a good rep due to the corrosion issue and unless you did the mid sections you likely won't get a lot for them anyway.
You could do the F300 or F250s. I'd review the reliability data on both models of the F250s along with the F300 and tradeoff against price differences.
I thing that hull will go another 20 years and your down the steep side of the depreciation curve. Just my 2 pennies.

Fishtales

Reaction score
BTW, what I said above I plan to do with my 07 Marlin. Will run what I have into the ground (replaced the mid sections about 2 years ago) and will repower after. I plan to sell after a few years post repower and look for another walk.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thanks for the replies. I had the exhaust kit done when I bought the boat in 2013. I was told that since this was done the motors had a market

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd be curious as to what kind of trade they would offer you. I just replaced my exhaust back in May and have 1200 hrs on my '04 F225, runs flawless but I guess I'm old school and my 228 is rated for a 250, thats what I think I need. :hmm

I'll stay Yamaha also for the ease of service availability. My thinking is a new 4.2 F250 with digital controls and dash screen.

Have you talked to them to ask about trading? Can't hurt to at least get a quote from them on a trade at current prices, lets you see where you stand.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I am going to have more follow up conversations with repower guys but my understanding is that the dealers won't take ownership of the used engines but will help you sell your engines. So really, I won't know what they are worth until someone actually buys them. I started to google used engines on ebay and craigslist to see what people are offering similar engines. There were some interesting amounts but not a lot out there. I am still thinking about just keeping them because they do run great. I will post if I pursue it learn more. Thanks again.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
BTW I also had a 2008 Seafarer with hardtop and it had a 250. The boat was great. Never needed more power than that...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
GEII said:
BTW I also had a 2008 Seafarer with hardtop and it had a 250. The boat was great. Never needed more power than that...

I think it's more about the fact that I can have a 250 than needing a 250. 8)

The 225 runs great, no issues with it. I haven't inquired about a trade on mine, probably will at least get a full season of running it and see how it does. Just acquired the boat back in April and only last week did I have a full week of running and fishing.

Scott D

Reaction score
I have an 04 Marlin that we recently repowered with Suzuki DF300's. They are a nice match to the hull, quiet and efficient.
After having owned DF300's in the past and never having had an issue, this was the way I wanted to go.

Since the 04 is rated for 600hp and the price difference to 250's is marginal? I'd say go that way. Also once you use the electronic controls, you'll never want mechanical again.

Any questions reach out to me.

Good luck.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thanks Scott. The repower guy mentioned that someone had repowered their Grady with the 250 to match his the mechanical controls and save some money. His feedback was the 250s were ok but wished he went with the 300s. I first thought I would look hard at the new Yamaha 300 that can be matched with mechanical controls but based on the feedback, digital seems to be the way to go.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Two points , one go digital. I did and love it. Second point is shop around . I live in NC and repowered in SC and the dealer traded my old 3.3 and applied it to my price . It was reasonable amount towards the purchase of the new motor. Somebody here once wrote, new motor equals new boat. It's mostly true.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thanks Bob. I am pretty loyal person to my service guy but it is a lot of money. I had been leaning toward just keeping the f225s but your obvious enjoyment of the repower has me thinking about it more :hmm