Just repowered 222 fisherman it’s the 3rd best day

Hineser Out

Reaction score
3rd best day in boat owners life day he repowers. Had to repower my 2006 222 fisherman cause the f225 went belly up after I was running home from a 30 mile offshore solo trip. Luckily I was only 2 miles from home when the oil pump shaft seal broke and I tore up the engine due to no oil.

So I repowerd with a 4.2 Yamaha 250. I now own a Porsche. This boat is awesome with a 250 compared to old 3.3 225. So much fun to drive. Just past first 2 hrs so now I can open it up. It’s a completely different boat. At 3500 I’m doing 30 mph, 4500 I’m doing 37/38 mph, wide open I’m doing 44 or so. So much mid range torque it’s great.

One question is I’m wondering if I’m overpropped. Got a 15.5 x 17 and wot get to 5400, that’s slam down throttle and engine trimmed up to the max. All rpms match with the Yamaha perf bullitain for same motor same prop on a tournament except at wot. Maybe I should go down in pitch to get closer to 6000?

Hineser Out

Reaction score
So how can I delete one of these post ? Cause it looks like I submitted it twice.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What hole is the motor mounted in? It's possible they mounted it too low.

Hineser Out

Reaction score
It’s mounted on #2 hole which is correct. On Grady’s site I get same exact numbers as the performance bulletin for the seafarer with a 250 and it has the same prop, except top rpm. So I think next time I run
it wide open I’ll trim it up even more to see if it gets up over 5500. I really like the mid range performance the way it’s propped now so don’t want to change that if don’t have to.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hineser,
I repowered in March and my motor got stolen and then repowered again when the insurance paid out. Both motors topped out at 5400 (1st) to 5600 (2nd) RPM. First motor I tested a powertech 4 blade prop 15.25 diameter x17 pitch and my original saltwater series prop 15.5 x17 . They stole the motor with the 4 blade prop. The 2nd one came with a SDSII prop identical to yours and it turns 5600 RPM. Top speed light load of my 228 was 46 mph.

I too have wondered about the performance numbers of 5800 to 6000 RPM on a 4.2 Liter F250. I have yet to see those kind of numbers on a motor now with 37 hours on it. I have been told as the motor breaks in it should listen up some.

So, did you go digital ? I did and love it.

Hineser Out

Reaction score
Thanks for info Bob. Opened it up today for a little bit as it was choppy. Trimmed it up more and got to 5600 and about 46mph. I think there’s something to that , motor loosening up after break in. Really love this motor on this boat. It’s just so much better all around to drive compared to the old f225. I think it rides better as with higher cruise skimming over the waves. I feel like I can negotiate the seas better as well. My mechanic was impressed how solid the boat feels. I didn’t have a choice but to repower so at least it was a big upgrade in performance. I stayed with mechanical shift, save money and no need to cut up the dash. The square gauges I have are good for me.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hineser,
I kept my gauges. I wanted that new big square full color LCD gauge but for the price I could upgrade my Garmin 4208 to new unit. I went for the digital throttle though. The motor is more torquey for sure. I like the sound of it too. I am going to try some other props in the spring to see if I can eek out a little more performance . Congrats on the motor again.

L.R.

Reaction score
Hineser Out said:
It’s mounted on #2 hole which is correct. On Grady’s site I get same exact numbers as the performance bulletin for the seafarer with a 250 and it has the same prop, except top rpm. So I think next time I run
it wide open I’ll trim it up even more to see if it gets up over 5500. I really like the mid range performance the way it’s propped now so don’t want to change that if don’t have to.

Just because it's mounted in the second hole doesn't always make it correct.That's the way it is mounted from the Factory,not always the best..I have a 2005 Seafarer ,F-225,Mercury Enertia 17" Prop. Hardtop and Enclosure.Have my Engine mounted as high as it will go....44mph @ 6k rpms.