Boat Put Away for 2017 and GW Reflections

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just brought the boat in for layup after another great year - my 11th year with this boat. It is sad to see it going away, but fall us upon us and we are ready for winter activities. Absolutely zero issues this year again and I started to think of my overall experience with two GWs over 17 years.

My first new Grady was an 02 Sailfish that I bought in 2001. That boat never had any issue at all, never a breakdown and never an unscheduled maintenance service on the F225s. No new boat issues and only saw my dealer in the spring when I'd take it to my slip and at the end of the year when they would winterize and store it. I drove it 6 seasons and the boat just worked - all the time. I think the only thing I did was have the props touched up one winter. My only complaint was the helm chairs being tight.

I bought my 06 Marlin in early 07, trading the Sailfish in. I got a good deal on the trade and the dealer wanted to move a soon to be non-current boat. The first year there was a recall on the power steering pump which the dealer did in my slip while I was at work. No interruption in service. The only warranty issues were headliner cracks which were detected in the spring before splashing and were fixed on two separate occasions. The second, after more than 5 years of ownership. GW really stepped up and make it right. I had a thruster issue where it worked one direction only. I changed out what I call the "H Bridge" module just under the cover, that allowed the current to flow in either direction for the motor. It was pretty intuitive and fairly easy to do. Two years later, I changed the starter on the Panda generator. when it would not start. Not fun, as you have to work in tight quarters, but to be honest other than making sure the short bolt goes in the right position, it was an easy fix. Got both parts direct from the manufacturers.

I had my dealer do the mid sections on the F250s as a precautionary maintenance issue 3 years ago. I've swapped out a couple of batteries recently. I've even had the enclosure spot sewed as some threads let go. Not sure if this was a thread defect or due to bleach/mildew remover. Other than routine maintenance and the items above, I've never had and surprise or issue with the motor or boat. Just this year, I ordered a new transom seat base direct from Garelick, which came with the metal swing arm and entire rack assembly. It bolted on and replaced the original.

I have to say my dealer experience has been awesome. My dealer allows me to do some things in the yard (cleaning, waxing, bottom painting, spring set up and fall breakdown). I've never had a breakdown at sea with the Yamaha F225/250s and as a result Seatow has enjoyed a good run. I've never any motor or fuel issue. I follow the dealer schedule for preventative maintenance. I have it shrinkwrapped and store outside, so the top side gelcoat has held up well.

You hear a lot of stuff out there about Gradys being expensive, overpriced, transom and wood rot, wiring and other complaints. I can only say that after 17 years, I'm a very satisfied customer due to the dealer experience and the factory standing behind their product. I hope to buy another Grady walkaround in the future - hopefully a larger one (33 would be great). Who knows maybe another Marlin if that is the biggest walk in the fleet. So, the boats away and I'm thinking of snow, skiiing and making backyard ice and glad I got the Gradys.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Good review on the Gradys. I love my boat, a 2007 Marlin. I don't use the gender much, perhaps that is why it will now not start. I used it when I had poor, tired batteries and I wanted to drift fish. Now with new batteries I had not used it for a month. It will not even give a click now. I'm hoping it is a simple relay.

I will drag her home this Tuesday. Clean the hull and prepare her for a nap until spring. I'll get a pole barn built this spring, but until then she will rough it in the rain. It rarely freezes here.

Randy

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Nice read. I need another couple months of summer. The largest walk around Grady makes is the Marlin at 30 feet. They make an Express 33 which is a sweet boat. I would like to get a Marlin someday. Here is to Spring 18. It can't get here fast enough ..lol