300 Or 350's On a Marlin?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Starting to plan for a 2018 or 2019 Marlin. (I want to snag one before they kick them to the curb for another bowrider.)

One of the many decisions to be made is power. I would be interested in the opinions of Marlin owners and folks with knowledge of both engines.

This is old news to Journeyman. We have talked about me hitching a ride aboard his rig w/350's. The end of the season and 1200-odd miles makes that a challenge.

I have always powered my Grady's to the max and have never been sorry. I like the fuel burn numbers at cruise with the 350's, they are slightly better than the 300's with, obviously, more speed/torque.

However, I am aware of the flywheel problems; I guess they change them out every 200 hrs now and treat it as a maintenance item. Any other red flags with the 350's? Will they go 1000 hrs+?

Most run the Marlins with 300's. There must be a reason why..

So..are the 300's more dependable than the 350's? Does the boat behave better with the lighter 300's? Does the 350's hurt resale?

This is a big deal and I want to get it right the first time; Thanks to any and all who participate.

devildogdad

Reaction score
I have twin 300 and love them. never once felt underpowered.

andybru

Reaction score
I have 250 Suzukis and I will def be looking to go up to 300s when I repower. I am also considering the Evinrude G2 300's to save some fuel!

Fishtales

Reaction score
If I got one, I'd go with the 300s. I have F250s now and not a problem at all.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks All:

My service dept says the 300's are the better choice of the two, along with all of you so far.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
300s amigo. They are lighter and are more proven . Go digital.

hinmo1

Reaction score
Newbie here.
Still running OX66s on my Marlin. (just bought, already having issues) Does anyone run F225s? I can run with less WOT. What size shaft length is required on the Marlin.

Any help appreciated....

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Let me start of by saying that I am not biased in any way. I had 8 flawless years with a 250 on the back of my 258 and loved that motor. Not one hiccup. When I began my search for my Marlin, I hoped to find one with a pair of them. I did, in Falmouth, but was one day too late. The owner graciously took me for a ride even though he had an offer on the table and I was very pleased with the power and performance. At the time, I knew little of the 300 or 350’s or their reliability. When I found a Marlin for sale with twin 350’s, I read as much as I could about them. I read a lot of horror stories as well as rave reviews. Power, torque, yada yada… I talked with people I trusted to give honest opinions and got, what I think, are honest answers. First, the 350’s have an inherent issue with the flywheels. I won’t get muddy here but Yamaha originally decided to replace the flywheels every 300 hours, which they did as my motors had 300 hours when I bought them. Then, I guess through more research, they found that it was more specific to the RPM range and the hours spent at those rpm’s. So they replaced the engine computer to track the RPM’s and replaced the flywheels at the same time to start “fresh” with a new flywheel. Still OK. Done in the water with no down time. As long as they are replacing them with no cost and no down time, I’m OK with that. The other known issue with the earlier year 350’s is manifold failure. Apparently, If water is not completely drained during winterization and sub freezing temperatures occur, they can crack/fail causing top end damage. This can be mitigated by using anti-freeze during winterization which I am doing faithfully. I am told the later generations of the 350 do not have this issue. Bottom line, I am very pleased with my power and performance and have no regrets. Hopefully, that will continue. I would have happily bought a Marlin with 250's and had no regrets. I know next to nothing of the 300’s other than they are another Yamaha success. The Marlin is a phenomenal boat and you will not regret buying one!!!

Sadly, as of Tuesday, I’m on the hard for a long winter’s nap. Looking forward to spring already…

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
is the fly wheel replacement at no cost for the life of the engine or just the warranty period?

journeyman said:
Let me start of by saying that I am not biased in any way. I had 8 flawless years with a 250 on the back of my 258 and loved that motor. Not one hiccup. When I began my search for my Marlin, I hoped to find one with a pair of them. I did, in Falmouth, but was one day too late. The owner graciously took me for a ride even though he had an offer on the table and I was very pleased with the power and performance. At the time, I knew little of the 300 or 350’s or their reliability. When I found a Marlin for sale with twin 350’s, I read as much as I could about them. I read a lot of horror stories as well as rave reviews. Power, torque, yada yada… I talked with people I trusted to give honest opinions and got, what I think, are honest answers. First, the 350’s have an inherent issue with the flywheels. I won’t get muddy here but Yamaha originally decided to replace the flywheels every 300 hours, which they did as my motors had 300 hours when I bought them. Then, I guess through more research, they found that it was more specific to the RPM range and the hours spent at those rpm’s. So they replaced the engine computer to track the RPM’s and replaced the flywheels at the same time to start “fresh” with a new flywheel. Still OK. Done in the water with no down time. As long as they are replacing them with no cost and no down time, I’m OK with that. The other known issue with the earlier year 350’s is manifold failure. Apparently, If water is not completely drained during winterization and sub freezing temperatures occur, they can crack/fail causing top end damage. This can be mitigated by using anti-freeze during winterization which I am doing faithfully. I am told the later generations of the 350 do not have this issue. Bottom line, I am very pleased with my power and performance and have no regrets. Hopefully, that will continue. I would have happily bought a Marlin with 250's and had no regrets. I know next to nothing of the 300’s other than they are another Yamaha success. The Marlin is a phenomenal boat and you will not regret buying one!!!

Sadly, as of Tuesday, I’m on the hard for a long winter’s nap. Looking forward to spring already…

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks again to all that replied:

devildog; andybru; Fish; Smoky; Much appreciated!

I will owe Journeyman a royalty check before this is done for his time & input.

Legend:

I talked with the techs at my marina a few days ago and one of them said Yamaha has now resolved the flywheel problem. I guess that means for 2018 models & beyond.

The techs, not unlike most of you, lean toward the 300's. They said they have no more boats in the yard w/350's although they would order one if desired. All the DC's and CC's carry 300's in their inventory. Even the 370 Canyon's preferred power is trip 300's.

According to them, the 300, like Smoky says,. is a more "together" engine and proven, plus cheaper to service.

Compelling arguments, although a part of me still wants to have all the power I can astern. I don't much use it, but the high cruising speeds and effortless planing are nice.

Hmm...

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I have been considering repowering my Marlin. The advice I received is consistent with yours-300s. They are cheaper to service and better track record. Good luck with the acquisition. I am a little jealous...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
GEII:

Thanks; It's a big decision, and we figure (translate:hope) we have about 10-15 more years of stamina to keep after it and keep it looking good.

Plus, we have places we want to cruise and our current 232 is not the right boat. I'd like a bit better ride, A/C for Fla and a more comfortable cabin for overnighting. (After sleeping in our Gulfstream for 10 years, the Marlin cabin is the Mariott to us.)

The time to do it is now; Not to touch on theology, but it's funny how your "plans for the future" change when the future becomes much shorter than it used to be.

Thanks for chiming in; Luck to you with your repower also.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Legend said:
is the fly wheel replacement at no cost for the life of the engine or just the warranty period?

Both times they have been done was after warranty expiration. I am told it will continue........

abielecki

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Marlin re-powered in 2012 with 300's. I have 300 hrs on them now and the boat performs very well! I can get up to 1.3MPG on the way home from the canyons.
I was looking at new Marlins today, the dealership recommended the 300's again. Save the money and put it in a bow thruster/ electronics. You will be very happy with the 300's.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks abielecki:

Appreciate your response and your experience.

When 100% of those you inquired to say 300's and since so many Marlins have the 300's, that's obviously the way to go.

If I may ask, what is your speed in Statute MPH when you net 1.3 MPG? I assume around 29-30?

abielecki

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Thanks abielecki:

Appreciate your response and your experience.

When 100% of those you inquired to say 300's and since so many Marlins have the 300's, that's obviously the way to go.

If I may ask, what is your speed in Statute MPH when you net 1.3 MPG? I assume around 29-30?

Right around 30mph, one tank full, bottom paint, loaded with ice, fish and gear. Coming in from offshore, smooth seas.

Attachments

• offshore.png
    offshore.png
    346.8 KB · Views: 692

Scott D

Reaction score
2004 Marline with 2017 DF300 Suzuki's at about 4000 RPM.

200 Gallons fuel, full water, 3 people, lots of gear

image.php

abielecki

Reaction score
Nice numbers, what props are you using?

Scott D said:
2004 Marline with 2017 DF300 Suzuki's at about 4000 RPM.

200 Gallons fuel, full water, 3 people, lots of gear

image.php

Scott D

Reaction score
I’m currently running 3 blade 16” x 18.5” pitch props.

To get more grip in rough seas I may try 16” diameter 4 blades

To answer the original question, I think 300hp is a good match to this boat and it’s got plenty of power and runs 46mph wide open.

That said if the 2004 Marlin was rated at 700hp instead of 600, I’d have a pair of duoprop Suzuki 350’s. I like to cruise fast and I have long runs in calm water before getting to the ocean.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Scott D;

Thanks also for your thoughts & stats.

Looks like it'll be the 300's when I order the rig. Almost everyone I asked voted for them. The dependability, proven record, lighter weight not to mention whacking 10-11K off the bill never hurts either.

Thanks All; Much appreciated!