Just Repowered My 1999 228G with a Suzuki DF250

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For what it's worth,

Just wanted to put it out there how pleased I am with my new motor. Went from a 1999 YAMAHA OX66 225 (which still ran smooth and reliably) to the Suzuki DF250 (white) and C-10 color monitor. Struggled mightily on the decision to leave Yamaha for the Suzuki but am extremely pleased with my decision. Picked up 12-mph more on topspeed and the fuel economy difference amazing (avg at least 1.5 mpg more and as much as 2.5mpg more than the Yammy).

However, the most part that I can't get over is the sound level difference. I had never truly heard the SV2 hull working like I can now---listening to the water being displaced, sliding under the hull, and sprayed outward will lull you to sleep. Also, now have to completely adjust my amplifier settings as now the system doesn't have to compete and overcome the 2-stroke noise.

Just wanted to put this out there as during my agonizing decision making process, I would have liked to see as much feedback from other 228ers.

Please don't read this as any slander against Yamaha as the OX66 treated me amazing--just wanted to repower solely for piece of mind and the Suzuki vs Yamaha debate is always testy. But 13 hours into this new motor, I'm extremely pleased.

Reactions: Koz54

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Trilogy,
So what is your actual fuel economy with the Zuke? I repowered stayed home with Yammy. Went from the 3.3 L to 4.2 liter . Fuel at cruise went from 3.0 to about 3.2 mpg in flat water. More displacement gives us better torque and hole shot. I am curious as how your actual fuel economy is. Congrats.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the Suzukis and there is no difference in my opinion in the Zuks versus the Yamaha from the people I know. The only thing I would check out is access to service. In some areas this can be a problem. If you have good access to a certified mechanic, you will be fine. Enjoy that motor......

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've been running a Suzuki DF140 for 13 years. Quality motors. I like that they have timing chains, no belts. OEM parts readily available at Boats.net.
I will be repowering my 265 Express from 225 Ox66s to DF200APs when I save up the money.

L.R.

Reaction score
What is Your top end with the Suzuki? Do You have a hard Top and Curtains also? Thanks.

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Numbers after first 13 hours--still in break-in and dialing in how she like to ride.

Only major difference I've noticed in ride/trim is with the additional weight, you can really see the trim tabs wake/quasi rooster tail now.

Wilmington River, Savannah, Georgia--light breeze and little chop
Hard Top=No curtains
2 Adults/81 gallons in main tank/~10 gallons in Aux Tank
Top End: 44.3
Best Cruise(so far): @3900RPM with a smooth 33MPG getting @ 3.4 MPG (still dialing in tabs and trim)

Been warm here so haven't had curtains up yet--I will fight them into place this weekend and will report back.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
trilogy said:
Numbers after first 13 hours--still in break-in and dialing in how she like to ride.

Only major difference I've noticed in ride/trim is with the additional weight, you can really see the trim tabs wake/quasi rooster tail now.

Wilmington River, Savannah, Georgia--light breeze and little chop
Hard Top=No curtains
2 Adults/81 gallons in main tank/~10 gallons in Aux Tank
Top End: 44.3
Best Cruise(so far): @3900RPM with a smooth 33MPG getting @ 3.4 MPG (still dialing in tabs and trim)

Been warm here so haven't had curtains up yet--I will fight them into place this weekend and will report back.

Congrats on the upgrade Trilogy!
Wow, 3.4 MPG at cruise is terrific!

Now that you are a proud Zuke owner, before you post again, you should update your signature... :D

Hammertime

Reaction score
trilogy said:
For what it's worth,

Just wanted to put it out there how pleased I am with my new motor. Went from a 1999 YAMAHA OX66 225 (which still ran smooth and reliably) to the Suzuki DF250 (white) and C-10 color monitor. Struggled mightily on the decision to leave Yamaha for the Suzuki but am extremely pleased with my decision. Picked up 12-mph more on topspeed and the fuel economy difference amazing (avg at least 1.5 mpg more and as much as 2.5mpg more than the Yammy).

However, the most part that I can't get over is the sound level difference. I had never truly heard the SV2 hull working like I can now---listening to the water being displaced, sliding under the hull, and sprayed outward will lull you to sleep. Also, now have to completely adjust my amplifier settings as now the system doesn't have to compete and overcome the 2-stroke noise.

Just wanted to put this out there as during my agonizing decision making process, I would have liked to see as much feedback from other 228ers.

Please don't read this as any slander against Yamaha as the OX66 treated me amazing--just wanted to repower solely for piece of mind and the Suzuki vs Yamaha debate is always testy. But 13 hours into this new motor, I'm extremely pleased.

Can you tell us how much the motor cost you and how much did the dealer charge for the installations. I'd assume you had to change all rigging and gauges.. I have the 232 Gulfstream with the ox66 250hp on the back and would love to repower to a Suzuki. Just cant afford it..

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hammertime said:
trilogy said:
Can you tell us how much the motor cost you and how much did the dealer charge for the installations. I'd assume you had to change all rigging and gauges.. I have the 232 Gulfstream with the ox66 250hp on the back and would love to repower to a Suzuki. Just cant afford it..

All new C10 Digital Display, new key switch, binnacle control, engine, prop, and rigging with sales tax=almost $20k on the money.

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Trilogy,
Congratulations on the new motor. I have a 2000 228G, which is probably very similar to, if not exactly like yours, and I have been pondering a repower up to a 250 for a while now. If you could help with a few questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Did the extra weight of the 4 stroke make the boat sit lower in the rear?
Did you move fuel tanks forward to account for the weight?
Did you have any other work done besides repower? If so, what?
Without naming the dealer, were you satisfied with the work and the transaction?

I live in Savannah, too, and I'm pretty sure I know who the dealer is.

Thanks again,
SwampGrizz

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Trilogy,
Just re-read your post, and I saw where you mentioned that you have a trim-tab rooster tail, so I guess it does sit a little lower in the water. Any other differences in ride, handing, etc?

Thanks,
SwampGrizz

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
SwampGrizz said:
Trilogy,
Just re-read your post, and I saw where you mentioned that you have a trim-tab rooster tail, so I guess it does sit a little lower in the water. Any other differences in ride, handing, etc?

Thanks,
SwampGrizz

Please check your PM's

bFransen

Reaction score
Can the Suzuki 250 be trimmed all the way out of the water on a Grady 228? Mine is a 2003, if that matters.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a DF250ap. The new engines look to have a water intake on the front of the lower unit and I'm worried it will sit in the water.

Anyone got pics of these new engines on a 228 trimmed up?

Any other notes that can be shared like mounting height tweaks and/or prop?

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hello guys, I have a 2006, 208 and and am considering a Suzuki repower of either the 200 hp in-line 4s (which evidently has the V6 lower unit gear case), or maximizing the horsepower rating for the full V6 250. The 208 Max hp rating was increased in 2007 from 230-250. The hull weights are documented the same at 2900 pounds for both years. I installed trim tabs and had to use the 4 inch nipple to get through the 2 inch thick transom on my 208. So I know the 2006, has the thicker transom.I have a 2006 F150 4s with approximately 350 hours. The engine runs great. Fishing 3 guys, fueled up with gear it is clearly not enough engine/torque. I have also ordered a hard top from Atlantic Towers for this boat.Fishing alone I cruise at 24 kn at 4200 RPMs. At tune ups and service checks the boat topped out at 38knots. I love the ride, portability and overall feel of this boat. The repower cost has been quoted in the area of 20k. (Sandpiper Marine in Virginia is the lowest "so far at $19800.). I brought this boat always rack stored it is in like new condition so I think to 20,000 is a reasonable repower investment for what I have. I have gotten mixed advice as to whether or not I should repower for just 50 more horsepower however I am not sure if to 250 would be to heavy? does anyone know for sure if the 2007, 208 hull was structurally changed for more horsepower or was it just a publishing change due to the fact that engines have become lighter? Is anyone running a 250 Zuke on a 208? I keep the boat in Niantic Connecticut and fish Fishers Island sound, the Race to the Southwest ledge Block Island. On a beautiful day with a stationary weather front I may take a 30-50 mile ride to troll tuna. One of the guys at Boats Inc told me they have a customer that takes his little 208 to the Fishtail's Canyon. that is another discussion for another day!. It is also not anything that I would consider. I would like maximum horsepower for the extra torque and added safety of building sea conditions.Thank you for your advice and help.

tuckmart

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As a comparison, I have an '04 Seafarer 226 (i.e. without the Grady bracket), so similar to a 208, just a little longer / heavier. I re-powered from a 200 HPDI (original to boat) to a DF200a this fall. With the HPDI, the boat would cruise around 30mph at 4k RPM doing just over 2mpg (hard top and canvas), which was just fine for me. I shopped around and all the dealers told me the 200 inline 4 would be fine for the boat, especially the Suzuki because of the high gear ratio. They were right - the DF200 has just as much punch as the HPDI once it gets going (maybe a slight hesitation as engine revs up, but we're talking half second kind of thing). Now cruise 30mph at 4500 rpm but getting closer to 2.5mpg. 200 should be plenty for that boat unless you regularly fish 3-4 big guys with tons of gear. Plan on a 200 being in low $20s these days. I found best price was a dealer down on south shore of LI that did engine and all rigging for $21k.

Noise difference at low / medium RPMs is night and day different. High revs not as much, not surprisingly. Torque no problem. And for me, the biggest thing is I'm not running a 17 year old engine which always gave me a little pause when 10+ miles offshore. No matter how well you maintain them, a nearly 20 year motor is more likely to fail than a new one.

65421352884__71CFBC5E-2844-4665-AEF8-049230D96ADA.jpeg

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you for that info! Can give me the name of the dealer that would be close enough for me here in Connecticut. Your rig looks great!!!

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you for that info! Can give me the name of the dealer that would be close enough for me here in Connecticut. Your rig looks great!!!
What are your thoughts and experience for range, sea conditions for fishing offshore with your rig?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It might be more advantageous for you to start your own thread as you might get a few more people to reply, as opposed to resurrecting a 4+ year old thread. I think a quick phone call to Grady White would probably answer your question about the maximum horsepower change between the 2006 and 2007 model years. What I find is interesting though, is if you look at the 226/228's in 2006 compared to 2007, they are still at the same maximum horsepower level of 250hp. So, I'm not sure why they did it for the 208's only, as opposed to doing the 226/228's as well. Comparatively, the 232 Gulfstream has the same maximum horsepower level between the two years as well at a maximum of 400 hp. For the 226/228 Seafarer's it isn't until 2011 where you get the increased maximum horsepower levels from 250hp to 300hp. Again, it's probably quicker and easier to call up GW and ask them your questions over the phone as they would be the experts on the matter. Lastly, if you go onto the Grady White website you can select a 208 Adventure under the "Models" tab on the top of the page and in the "Performance" section you can see what the numbers are on the different motors. From a very quick look at the data below, it looks like the 200 Yamaha is kind of the "sweet spot" in terms of providing enough horsepower without being too heavy or losing out on fuel economy. The 150 Yamaha, as you have mentioned, seems a bit underpowered, but the 200 Yamaha does almost 45 mph and burns less fuel per hour compare to either the 150 or 250 Yamaha. I'm sure the Suzuki motors will be somewhat different, so it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but it should give you some rough numbers. I'm not sure if you really need it, but you could also look into the Suzuki 225, which would obviously be a halfway point between the 200 and the 250 Suzuki motors, but it's almost 100lbs heavier than the 200 Suzuki, so I'm not exactly sure you'd gain much except spending more money. With the Yamaha 200 doing almost 45 mph and getting the best fuel economy out of the three total motors, that's all I'd need to hear to make me want to go with a Suzuki 200. The Yamaha 250 goes almost 53 mph, which I definitely don't need to go anywhere near that fast out on the water.

150 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

Top Speed: 40.4 MPH @ 6000 RPM
Optimum Cruise: 26.4 MPH @ 4100 RPM
GPH at Optimum Cruise: 7.1
MPG at Optimum Cruise: 3.71

200 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

Top Speed: 44.1 MPH @ 5800 RPM
Optimum Cruise: 26.5 MPH @ 3800 RPM
GPH at Optimum Cruise: 6.4
MPG at Optimum Cruise: 4.17

250 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

Top Speed: 52.7 MPH @ 6000 RPM
Optimum Cruise: 30.8 MPH @ 3500 RPM
GPH at Optimum Cruise: 8.4
MPG at Optimum Cruise: 3.68

tuckmart

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Harbor Isle Marine down by JFK. Tom there was great and even came to pick boat up in CT with a trailer for very modest fee.

I haven’t been more than 15-20 miles out. I run boat from CT up to Martha’s Vineyard for the summer and the shot from Block Island across to MV is pretty exposed although it’s a busy shipping lane so the traffic makes it feel less remote. Once I gain a little more confidence in the new motor I will probably venture 20-25 miles south of MV to chase tuna and mahi when there are reports of them in area. I know other people are happy to venture further off with this size boat, the problem is if chop kicks up, fighting it for a 30-40 mile run back would be awfully uncomfortable.

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Harbor Isle Marine down by JFK. Tom there was great and even came to pick boat up in CT with a trailer for very modest fee.

I haven’t been more than 15-20 miles out. I run boat from CT up to Martha’s Vineyard for the summer and the shot from Block Island across to MV is pretty exposed although it’s a busy shipping lane so the traffic makes it feel less remote. Once I gain a little more confidence in the new motor I will probably venture 20-25 miles south of MV to chase tuna and mahi when there are reports of them in area. I know other people are happy to venture further off with this size boat, the problem is if chop kicks up, fighting it for a 30-40 mile run back would be awfully uncomfortable.
Thank you so much guys! You are right the numbers do not lie! The 200 seems to be the smart choice! The yammi vs suzuki comes down to price competition and access to service! 3 to 4 k less seems hard to walk away from. Obviously two great engines. I like the larger displacement on the zuke at 200 hp vs the yammi. Any thoughts or advice? Again I thank you in advance for your opinions and advice