Overpowered 232?

mheltunen

Reaction score
While I’ve been looking around for 232’s (to purchase) I’ve noticed a few pre 2000 with twin 200 hpdi’s. Now according to Grady White 2000 is the first year that the hp was increased to 400. The thought of twin 200’s is very appealing but I have some concerns about exceeding the manufacturers recommendations. I’ve spoken with some that say “no problem” but speaking with Grady whites customer support they discourage it, but did confess it happens frequently. My question is if I find one set up with twin 200’s while rated for 350hp should I consider it or walk? Any input on this is appreciated.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
While I'm convinced twin 200's are the perfect power for a Gulfstream, I would hesitate in purchasing a 232 that exceeds the Cap/factory recommendations.

There has to be some reason why they don't want 200's on the older models, plus I would wonder if insurance/liability comes into play in the event of an accident, sinking or swamping.

Your doing your homework; Good luck and maybe you'll come across a newer one rated for 400 HP.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I will likely get blasted by those who believe all boats should be powered at 100%-120% of manufacturer rating.

We bought the GW below new in 2002 at the VaBch boat show. Dealer had hung a 2001 250hp OX66 on a boat rated at 500hp. Some were powered with twin F225s during those years.

Performance was marginal to adequate, and we put 465 hours on in the first three years.

Repowered in late 2005 to get greater fuel range for offshore fishing. Couldn't get rice or availability on the new Suzuki DF175s, so had the twin F150s installed.

We have almost 1600 hours and tens of thousands of miles under the keel. Great engines and, while a bit more power or speed might be useful occasionally, I am quite content to cruise at 25-28kts, with WOT of 37kts. Would likely be higher with twin 150HPDIs.

The 232 is a bit beamier, but our 270 is heavy. I think you will be quite comfortable with a pair of 150s on a good 232.

Brian

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
There are a couple schools of thought on this. In many ways when you buy a Grady you know up front these boats are not speed racers, they are built for comfort. I am in Brian's camp for the most part. When I had my 192 it was rated for a 200 and I had Yammy F150. Loved the boat.

On the other hand a friend of mine had an early 330 with factory rigged twin 225s . The boat was rated for 500 and he repowered with lighter F300s. There was a huge difference in overall performance.

Then you have the legal side of things. When I repowered with a new 4.2 liter I wanted the F300. My placard says 250 hp rating. Today you can buy a new 228 with a F300 but in 09 250 was the max. If we are to believe Grady's are solidly built over engineered one would think lighter stronger HP of only 100 more is not going to harm the boat. Grady will advise against it for legal issues. Say you get in an accident and there is a loss of life. If you are over powered I suspect a prosecutor may make that an issue among many. There is no way Grady would advise anyone to over power above the placard . Legally they don't want the liability that may arise in either civil or criminal court.

Your insurance company may or may not care. Mine asks the top speed of the boat not the horse power per se. They ask about it for loss more than liability I think. I could be wrong. They never have asked what does the placard say versus what's on the stern.

I rarely run WOT . The more HP would he beneficial say with a full load, in rough seas with added low end torque and water sports. I noticed improvement going from a 3.3 L to 4.2 L in terms of low end performance with a full crew of 8 on the lake.

So, the question is how do plan to use the Gulfy? Is it just you a couple buddies fishing? Then twin 150s are great. If you want to take a full crew all the time , then more HP couldn't hurt.

Good luck

mheltunen

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
There are a couple schools of thought on this. In many ways when you buy a Grady you know up front these boats are not speed racers, they are built for comfort. I am in Brian's camp for the most part. When I had my 192 it was rated for a 200 and I had Yammy F150. Loved the boat.

On the other hand a friend of mine had an early 330 with factory rigged twin 225s . The boat was rated for 500 and he repowered with lighter F300s. There was a huge difference in overall performance.

Then you have the legal side of things. When I repowered with a new 4.2 liter I wanted the F300. My placard says 250 hp rating. Today you can buy a new 228 with a F300 but in 09 250 was the max. If we are to believe Grady's are solidly built over engineered one would think lighter stronger HP of only 100 more is not going to harm the boat. Grady will advise against it for legal issues. Say you get in an accident and there is a loss of life. If you are over powered I suspect a prosecutor may make that an issue among many. There is no way Grady would advise anyone to over power above the placard . Legally they don't want the liability that may arise in either civil or criminal court.

Your insurance company may or may not care. Mine asks the top speed of the boat not the horse power per se. They ask about it for loss more than liability I think. I could be wrong. They never have asked what does the placard say versus what's on the stern.

I rarely run WOT . The more HP would he beneficial say with a full load, in rough seas with added low end torque and water sports. I noticed improvement going from a 3.3 L to 4.2 L in terms of low end performance with a full crew of 8 on the lake.

So, the question is how do plan to use the Gulfy? Is it just you a couple buddies fishing? Then twin 150s are great. If you want to take a full crew all the time , then more HP couldn't hurt.

Good luck

Good explanation of the pros and cons of this scenario. While WOT runs can be entertaining (and expensive) I would like the additional HP more for the loads I carry. I frequently fish with 3-4 adults 50+ miles offshore with full camping gear and food for a weekend. Now saying “offshore” I’m referring to Lake Superior. We offten travel fish and Camp and in the past fully loaded on my previous vessels you can sure feel the weight. I would still travel at a prudent speed trying to achieve maximim fuel economy. My concerns would be the motors actually harming the vessel or it’s bracket. I tend to keep boats for 10 years plus before upgrading And don’t wish to prematurely shorten its lifespan.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the idea of being close to the maximum hp but would never go over. The last thing you need is a bad event to occur and your insurance company refuses to cover because you exceeded the max hp of the boat. Just my 2 pennies.