Winterizing hot water system ?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yesterday I was winterizing my system and I ran the fresh water dry. I the proceeded to drain the hot water tank. When the drain valve was wide open the water started to come out but very slow. After about and hour trickle stopped. Then added 7 gallons of ping ant-freeze to the main tank. When I ran the cold water faucet.s the pink came through in a few second. When I ran the hot water faucet fresh water flowed for a couple of minutes. Probably 2 gallons of water came out before it ran pink. Wonder if I have a blockage in the hot water tank valve that prevented the tank from completely draining?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Re: Winteriing hot water system ?

Legend said:
Wonder if I have a blockage in the hot water tank valve that prevented the tank from completely draining?

I guess it's possible. Was the heater vented using the relief valve while draining? The old "finger on top of the straw" effect. Also, the drain valve could be on it's way out. Mine is plastic... At work, I see valve failures all the time. Good quality valves where the gate breaks off from the valve stem.

When I drained my heater last weekend, I opened the relief valve and then the drain. I could hear water coming out. When I removed the Inlet and outlet hoses to by-pass it, a good amount more came out. Wasn't that way last year. I could be having the same issue.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Re: Winteriing hot water system ?

The relief valve and faucet were open, my guess is either a bad valve or sediment clogging the valve. I will probably try to remove the valve, but I am afraid of the drain valve breaking off since the heater is now 13 years old.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
journeyman said:
When I removed the Inlet and outlet hoses to by-pass it, a good amount more came out. Wasn't that way last year. I could be having the same issue.

I should have said that when I removed the Inlet and outlet hoses to by-pass it, a good amount more came out the inlet and outlet connections. I suspect the valve.

While we're on this topic, do these heaters have an anode? I replace the one in my basement every few years. Hard water. Neverthought about it til now.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the tip, I was checking the manufacturer web site (just in case) and they do have a model that has same dimensions and valve setup. They are still using the plastic drain valve and it is available for under 10 bucks. The unit is around $350. They do list on these units that the anode should be changed and it is something I have never done either. I will need to check mine in the spring to determine if the older units have one. I'm all shrink wrapped for the winter

Joe H

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Being a new GW owner, I've only had my boat for two weeks and I'm looking to winterize this weekend. It's an 05 330 express, was wondering where the water tanks are located in this model? The previous owner still has the manual and I want to do this before he gets its to me or the cold weather kicks in here in NJ.

thanks in advance for any help that can be provided

hinmo

Reaction score
Legend - my 99 Marlin has a Raritan heater. Best of my knowledge there is a pressure relief valve and NO water drain. I removed both the cold (in/fill) and hot hoses and coupled them together. I have a junction after the freash water tank I hook a portable tank with RV Antifreeze up to....i run the pump and all legs until they bleed pink. The Raritan dumped lots of water from the disconnected fill, so I am presuming its empty.

Reactions: Legend

Joe H

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for the info. Gave me some good ideas.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Water tank is center stern, water heater is under starboard center seat, through an access panel, manual is available at grady white website