Possible Bad Lower Unit 2000 225hp OX66

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I try and make this short. Last trip of the year I noticed the starboard outboard chattering some in gear, about 30min later pulling up to my mooring that motors shift cable snapped. I confirmed it was the shift cable and not the shaft also. I assumed the chattering was from the motor not being completely in gear with the about to break cable.

Ordered new cables and didn't think much of it. I went to drain the lowers the other day to winterize the boat and almost no oil came out of that lower. There was not any water, but almost no oil It took the full amount. The prop spins like it should, but when you spin it my hand it has that dry bearing growl (best way to describe it). I pulled the lower and the seal where the shift shaft is was blown with oil coming out everywhere.

I guess my question is this, doesn't look like any water got into the lower, the oil was clean and not milky. There was some oil although not much in there splashing around. Typical New England pleasure boating usage for the season, 50 hours or so I would guess. With a new seal and fresh oil is this lower still ok or should it be replaced? I found a good takeoff already very reasonable I was going to grab, but I have to wonder if the one I have is junk or not.

I know always lean on the side of replacement, but I am curious, I wish all the specialty tools weren't so expensive or I would attempt to take it apart.

seasick

Reaction score
Fire93Medic said:
I try and make this short. Last trip of the year I noticed the starboard outboard chattering some in gear, about 30min later pulling up to my mooring that motors shift cable snapped. I confirmed it was the shift cable and not the shaft also. I assumed the chattering was from the motor not being completely in gear with the about to break cable.

Ordered new cables and didn't think much of it. I went to drain the lowers the other day to winterize the boat and almost no oil came out of that lower. There was not any water, but almost no oil It took the full amount. The prop spins like it should, but when you spin it my hand it has that dry bearing growl (best way to describe it). I pulled the lower and the seal where the shift shaft is was blown with oil coming out everywhere.

I guess my question is this, doesn't look like any water got into the lower, the oil was clean and not milky. There was some oil although not much in there splashing around. Typical New England pleasure boating usage for the season, 50 hours or so I would guess. With a new seal and fresh oil is this lower still ok or should it be replaced? I found a good takeoff already very reasonable I was going to grab, but I have to wonder if the one I have is junk or not.

I know always lean on the side of replacement, but I am curious, I wish all the specialty tools weren't so expensive or I would attempt to take it apart.

Of course running without oil is not good but I would go ahead and try it out with the new seal and oil. The two issues, low oil and funky shift cable were not related. Those lower units usually have two seals on the prop shaft. One keeps water out and one keeps oil in. Therefore you can have no oil but still not get water. Of course depending on which seal fails you can have both oil and water. If you have two seals, replace both and make a note of how they were installed. They should face opposite to each other.
One thing I would take a good look at is the magnetic drain plug to see how much metal is attached to it. Some fine particles are normal but chunks/big particles are a sign of excessive wear or damage.

Good luck