232 question

mattdjh

Reaction score
Hi first time poster but long time lurker...I’m about the pull the trigger on a used 232 gulfstream with a single 250. Can’t quite afford the twins and I know everyone says that’s what you want, but just can’t do it. But, if I can cruise at 25 mph around 4200 or so rpm than I’ll be happy. Any thoughts would be great. I boat in the western LI sound and looking for something more beefy to Explore out a little further.

FYI I currently have an adventure 208 and that boat has made me loyal to Grady...it’s one of the best 20 footers out there I think.

mattdjh

Reaction score
sorry just realized I didn't actually ask my questions!

Does anyone have this set up...A 232 gulfstream with an F250? And is it really that bad in terms of performance compared to the twins? I boat in LI Sound and don't go offshore...steep tight chop and can be pretty confused seas out there. Any thoughts on this particular set up would be appreciated. Thank you. :bang

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey mattdjh:

Sometimes performance is subjective..

To answer the question, I have never been aboard a 232 with a single, but many are completely happy with that combo. There is a big difference compared to the twins all throughout the power/torque spectrum but you'll mostly notice it in planing and docking.

RE: Planing: Two props in the water will put it over the top much faster and there is better control in rougher seas with the extra bite.

Docking: It will be a pain to control in a wind and/or current. It just will. The 232 is a widebody, a 9' 3" beam to a 23 foot length, and that makes it heavier and more susceptible to forces that control it.

Waiting for the good stuff? Sure..It's a great boat and will be safe & comfortable in a swell and light chop. Safe as can be and the extra beam makes lots more room in the cockpit & helm compared with similar boats. Grady has made it for years and they truly have it down.

If your happy with a lower cruising speed, which you say you will be and can horse the thing into a slip on windy days, I predict you'll really enjoy it. Just don't load it down too heavy on your offshore runs. It won't be much fun with a load of buddies & gear in rough seas with a single 250.

Great choice; Enjoy!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oops..another thought:

I find I get to the end of my comfort zone in my 232 when the winds exceed 10kts. If the seas are 2 feet or less, it's fine. Anything over that and the 232 will start slapping due to it's wider beam/length ratio.

You can adjust tabs and fix it to a point, but if your in open waters and they get riled up on a regular basis, you might have to get a larger rig or just pick & choose your days. I'm not saying it isn't safe, just uncomfortable. (At least to those who belong to AARP...)

If you are a die-hard and are willing to get jounced around, the boat can certainly take it. It is a real battleship.

I just read your not making offshore runs, so your single application would be appropriate for your cruising area, given the limitations outlined in my rant above.

Looks like you guys got a bunch of rain yesterday evening with that retreating cold front and the TS that moved North offshore. Looks like the party's about over for this year...

mattdjh

Reaction score
magic bill thanks a lot. I appreciate the feedback. I have 3 small kids and like to fish much more than cruise....its just that my 208 is getting small (kids are getting bigger each year funny how that happens) and can be tight and get tossed around out there...that makes me kind of reticent to bring them out with me unless its perfect. If I have more than 4 total guys on the boat its rare and again I'm looking for stability more than speed as I do alot drifting and bottom chunking. The docking thing I guess it is what it is. Maybe when I get the sea trial under my belt I'l have a better idea of what the boats capabilities are with the single. Either way it seems like a tank and next level from my 208 adventure and I'm pretty excited. And yes the party is over up here very soon. Probably next weekend.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Your welcome; Happy to chime in.

Your a boater; Your gut will tell you the right decision during and after your sea trial. If maintained, those 250's will last a long time, and the 232 is a whole other boat than the Adventure. Not knocking the 208, great boat! As you know, size matters, just like a Marlin rides better than a Gulfstream and the Expresses ride better...and so on.

Good luck: Keep us looped in!

Mclorite

Reaction score
I have a 1999 232 with single Yamaha 250 2 stroke on Long Island sound and it has handled it all. Yes slower then a twin but not bad. Normally have two guys with fully loaded gas, water and gear and I do 25mph around 4600 rpm. By myself on a light load and only the main tank full I can push 28 at 4500. Docking is not that bad once you get used to how the Boat reacts. You won’t regret the upgrade.

mattdjh

Reaction score
thanks Mclorite that is helpful. Good to hear that it can take it all on the sound. I'm just looking to go further out east AND have my kids aboard on less than perfect days so I think the gulfstream would be a little better for that application....the 208 has been rock solid but you know, time to move up!

I sea trial this Friday and I hope it goes well. Just listed my 208 for sale so game on.

Bumpye

Reaction score
I have a 2003 with a single 225. Love the boat and set up. Have had it out in 2-3' seas. Haven't taken it offshore yet, mostly fishing and cruising Gloucester to Marblehead. Can cruise comfortably at around 25 MPH with the bow trimmed down. Will hit 37 MPH in perfect conditions. Have had it loaded up with people (10-kids & adults) and she does great. Went with a single simply due to maint/repair costs. My only complaint is docking. The wind and current really grab your bow if your trying to back in. My bow faces West at the marina and with a W or SW wind it gets "interesting". With an East wind I look like an expert! A good friend has had Grady's forever and recently purchased a Gulfstream with a single. He just added a bow thruster ($7000) to fix the docking problem. Bottom line, if you can afford to maintain the twins go for it. However the single works fine too. Lot of 232 singles out there.
Just re-read your post and realized your looking at a single for the same reasons-$$$. As I said, around 25 MPH, 4200-4800 RPM (I think), she does great. One other thought-had an older 203 owner pull up to me after a trip back from Gloucester in light chop and asked how my ride was. He was getting hammered pretty good-the wife did not look happy. Told him mine ran fine-choppy but comfy. His boat was pre-SeaV2 hull production. Think he was planning to move up too.

Hammertime

Reaction score
mattdjh said:
sorry just realized I didn't actually ask my questions!

Does anyone have this set up...A 232 gulfstream with an F250? And is it really that bad in terms of performance compared to the twins? I boat in LI Sound and don't go offshore...steep tight chop and can be pretty confused seas out there. Any thoughts on this particular set up would be appreciated. Thank you. :bang

I have the same boat as yours, 2001 Gulfstream with a single ox66250hp.I love the boat but wish I had the dual 150hp motors. The singles 250 will get you up and going to about 39MPH, and 28 cruising speed.

I prefer the twins for a couple of reasons.

1) easier docking
2) piece of mind with having two motors going off shore

Your Andersen bracket is designed for one motor so trying to convert your single engine equipped boat for two motors is not worth it... Just enjoy this boat, and you will then move up to the 28 Marlin, like I plan on doing in the future

mattdjh

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone for the information. Just got done with a sea trial and the boat rode awesome and I see now why these are such great machines....however, WOT at 6000 was around 32ish mph. I had it at 4900 RPM and it was doing about 20 MPH. I couldn't believe how bad these numbers were and took a photo of the gauges at that speed so I wouldn't forget. 2 smallish guys, 1/4 tank of fuel, light chop and what I would call calm for my area. I had it at 5300 and that is what I feel I would have to keep out at to cruise 25-26 MPH. I can't see how that would work with my family and another family aboard or even 4 dudes with a full tank of gas on the best of days. I was doing something wrong or something was off I'm not sure but seems like you guys get much better numbers. I think I'm going to save up for twins. Too bad as I was psyched but I just can't figure out how the numbers could be so bad.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd investigate a kicker for trolling and to get you in if the single should break down. Other than that a single screw would be fine with me.

Hammertime

Reaction score
mattdjh said:
Ok thanks everyone for the information. Just got done with a sea trial and the boat rode awesome and I see now why these are such great machines....however, WOT at 6000 was around 32ish mph. I had it at 4900 RPM and it was doing about 20 MPH. I couldn't believe how bad these numbers were and took a photo of the gauges at that speed so I wouldn't forget. 2 smallish guys, 1/4 tank of fuel, light chop and what I would call calm for my area. I had it at 5300 and that is what I feel I would have to keep out at to cruise 25-26 MPH. I can't see how that would work with my family and another family aboard or even 4 dudes with a full tank of gas on the best of days. I was doing something wrong or something was off I'm not sure but seems like you guys get much better numbers. I think I'm going to save up for twins. Too bad as I was psyched but I just can't figure out how the numbers could be so bad.

Something wrong with the prop. Either the prop hub is slipping or the prop is totally wrong for that motor.. You should be doing 38 to 40 MPH at 5500 rpm, and cruise at 28 MPH at 4500 RPM. The motor should not be doing 6000 rpm neither. Sounds like shaft, prop hub issue going on with that lower unit.

Bumpye

Reaction score
Hammertime said:
mattdjh said:

Something wrong with the prop. Either the prop hub is slipping or the prop is totally wrong for that motor.. You should be doing 38 to 40 MPH at 5500 rpm, and cruise at 28 MPH at 4500 RPM. The motor should not be doing 6000 rpm neither. Sounds like shaft, prop hub issue going on with that lower unit.

I agree with Hammertime-something funny there. You've seen my numbers with a 225.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This would be a great moment for me to launch into the "Gotta Have Twins" speech, but I must agree with Hammertime & Bumpye; There is likely an issue with the propulsion.

Before you give up, have a Yamaha guy on his game check it all out. I would shoot for deducting the cost of repair/diagnosis/labor & parts off your agreed price if you really want that boat.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hmm..

Might look at the bottom too. If it's been in the water awhile that would account for the lousy performance numbers. Even with bottom paint, they need to be dove on and cleaned on a regular basis.

Check that out before you start pulling props, etc.

mattdjh

Reaction score
Thanks hammer time and bumpye, and Magic bill I really do appreciate the advice. I don’t have my heart set on that particular 232. It just was literally docked 200yards from my current 208 and the negotiated price was right. It was in ok shape and I did truly bring my check book with me that day, but I just felt like I could hold out for another option since the boat just felt off if you know what I mean. The salesman knew right away from my face I was disappointed. Also my home waters so it’s not like there was any unfamiliarity at all with the conditions or location at the time.

I bet you guys are right about there being either something with the lower unit or the prop because I was sure that F250 could push that boat just fine with 2 guys on Board...but 4900 and 20 mph just plain sucked. After time and money to figure it out, possible new prop, and the exhaust kit those motors end up needing, I feel like I’d be getting close to a twin boat in price. Even Grady emailed me with performance numbers for the f250 and they had the thing doing 5500 and 42 mph. Their numbers did have a 15 pitch prop not a 17 but still that is like 12 mph... doubt just a prop could make up that discrepancy but I don’t really know.

So I have decided to budget with more money for the twin 150’s since I want to get it right the first time. I’d like to keep it for a while so I want to make the right call.....So now looking 04-07 gulfstream w/twin 4 strokes. Thanks magic bill you have been very helpful and yes I think now would probably be the time for gotta have twins speech...I did love the 232 ride though what a stout machine.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sorry about the setback..I know the feeling of getting jazzed about a purchase and then you have to pass because of obvious flaws.

I'm sure you'll chomp at the bit while waiting, especially now that you've had a run aboard a 232. They are cool rigs, eh?

However, you'll ultimately be happier with twins on that hull. (Didn't think I'd get to give you this speech..Yay! Here goes..)

150's will be fine, although I think the 200's are a better match. Pros & Con's below:

Pros-200's.

Higher cruising speed with similar fuel burn to the 150's. My numbers with my 200's are 30-32 MPH cruise at 3700-3900 RPM. Fuel burn is 1.9-2.1MPG depending on conditions. This is with bottom paint. Flat out is just South of 50MPH. (Won't quite get there..)

Cons-200's.

More weight aft; The scuppers are 3/4 submerged sitting in the water dockside. It doesn't matter. I've had the boat 10 years and it drains fine. I don't even think about it.

My 200's need the exhaust job done at 1100 hrs. Same disease as the 225's I'm told. My engines are 2006's.

Pros-150's

The 150's are probably a little more bulletproof and tried/true than the 200's, plus I haven't heard of any corrosion problems with them.

You'll likely find that combination more readily available for purchase than the 200's as they are more popular. Also, they'll likely resale better as they seem to be the "standard" for twins on a 232.

Cons-150's

You'll have to run them a bit harder to achieve the same speed as the 200's, although this is not really a negative. They will work a lot less than the single 250 you were considering.

Planing with several people will need a bit more throttle than the 200's although admittedly, I'm splitting hairs here.

Bottom LIne?

Both the 200's & the 150's will make you grin every time you plane off in a 232. I just like the 200's better, so that gives me a reason (in my own mind) to state that preference.

Keep us informed and stay warm as the wx closes in!

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
I have Twin 200's 2 strokes and @3800 RPM I'm doing around 29-30 MPH; @4500 RPM in doing about 38 MPH; WOT... just shy of 50 MPH

mattdjh

Reaction score
Anyone been on or own a gulfstream with twin Yamaha 4 stroke 115’s?

I’ve seen a couple rigged this way and wondered if this was adequate for this boat. I guess before the 4 stroke 150 came out some dealers were doing this around 2001-2003. Just curious if anyone had experience with this set up. Still looking for the twin 4 stroke 150 gulfstream but slim pickings in January....thanks!