Electronics Package for Seafarer GPS-fishfinder?

UCPA111

Reaction score
Hey all. As I am restoring my 1983 seafarer, I am looking at electronics package. Prefer to have good fish finder/GPS combo. I fish Lake Erie, and will likely trailer to Ontario and the Atlantic Ocean (Murrel's Inlet, SC). I'd like something that can accept NEMA 2000 and be somewhat future proof if there is such a thing. I'll put a price point of $1500 or less for now. If you have experiences and recommendations, I'd love to read them. Are there units that can accept radar if I upgrade in the future? There isn't a ton of room on the dash...so hoping for someone with a seafarer and experience.

Thanks in advance.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm running twin Lowrance HDS 7 Carbons in my electronic box. One for depth/fishfinder with Totalscan transducer, the other for GPS with remote Point-1 antenna and Navionics Hot Map lake chip, networked together with Ethernet and running NEMA 2K. Radar compatibility if I want to add later. I fish primarily fresh water lake in South Carolina and some cruising down in Florida. Want to head up to Erie and learn walleye fishing, hopefully next year. I looked at Garmin, Simrad and others but felt the Lowrance setup was my best option for my style of fishing. There are a lot of good units out there, just do your research based on your needs and use and go from there.

I know you are mounting on dash so the biggest single unit you can swing so you can split screen and still be able to see it. The higher end units are ala carte, you piece your package together. As some would say, the lower end units are packaged already. Hummingbird, Lowrance seem to be considered freshwater, bass boat use units, but they have worked for me for years. Technology has come a long way. The marine electronics do change, but not near as fast as personal electronics. That new laptop you bought yesterday, is probably outdated by tomorrow.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I buy my eectronics from semperfifishing on THT (the hull truth) website. Gil is the man to ask about what would work for your appications, get on the forum and ask your questions. I have dealt with him a couple times, bought 2 gps units and radar from him, and you wont find a better price.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfifi ... sales-135/

Just my 2 cents.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. I do have a hard top with electronics locker. So, I'll have to assess the size of units. I do appreciate the feedback and guidance. If anyone has more...keep it rolling!

Mleslie347

Reaction score
dstarok said:
I buy my eectronics from semperfifishing on THT (the hull truth) website. Gil is the man to ask about what would work for your appications, get on the forum and ask your questions. I have dealt with him a couple times, bought 2 gps units and radar from him, and you wont find a better price.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfifi ... sales-135/

I'll gladly 2nd Dstarok's recommendation of Gil (aka semperfishing).

Used him last spring to order all new Gamrin components when I rigged up my Islander. Incredibly helpful and answered multiple questions I had prior to purchase. He also made several good recommendations that I hadn't considered when assembling an entire system.

Beat every other price I could find on the internet so in addition to the good customer service, saved me several hundred by the time all was said and done.