Bought a 1987 226 Seafarer!

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Newbie here! Chances are pretty good I will be hauling this Grady White 226 home next weekend, had a boat mechanic look it over yesterday. It needs a bunch of work, but the mechanic says it's worth the trouble. It sports twin 140 Johnsons that show 135 compression on all cylinders for both outboards. Tank and steering have been replaced already, converted to hydraulic steering. Could be problems with corrosion on everything bellow the power heads, shifting rods, motor mounts, etc.
Hull and deck are in good shape for the age, boat has had a cover most of its life so not a lot of oxidation. Bulk heads for the cabin show the typical delamination at the bottom, shouldn't be too big a problem to fix. Trailer needs tires and possibly crossmembers, axles and hubs are pretty new. Should be a fun project, lots of work though.

.Grady White 226 B.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Joe

Fishtales

Reaction score
Only advice is to make sure the major support items (transom, stringer and decks) are in good shape. If you get a strong hull, you can chip away at fixing her up at your own pace and price. Have fun with her and fire away with any questions. Lots of good folks here that are willing to help you out.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Structure checked out great, no sign of soft spots, stress cracks or transom issues. I will replace all the fuel lines, bilge pumps, though hull drains, fuel pumps, water pumps, and electronics. If the lower units come off with no damage, I will reseal them and repaint them. Motor mounts and shift rods are my biggest concern, I understand some parts are not available for the 87 140 anymore.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
After having the 226 surveyed I was able to purchase the boat for 2,400.00 including trailer, I'm very pleased! The twin Johnson 140's need a ton of lower unit replacement done because of corrosion, but the engines check out great. Super excited to own this Grady White, can't wait to get started with the restoration.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Spent a good part of yesterday cleaning out all the storage compartments, pretty amazing what you can find hiding in a thirty year old boat. I am very surprised the oil injection is still hooked up and was working, my boat mechanic friend seems to think there isn't a lot of hours on the boat since the oil injection is one of the first things to give problems. Trailer tires all need replacing since they have dry rot, and quite a few latches and cushion snaps are broken. I will also be looking into different types of Bimini tops, cabin cushions are in nasty condition also and need replacing. I would like some suggestions on the best products to remove oxidation on the gel coat, I didn't know if there are any new top notch products out now.

Attachments

• Grady White 226.jpg
    Grady White 226.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 3,174
  • Grady White 226 E.jpg
    Grady White 226 E.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,174
  • Grady White 226 F.jpg
    Grady White 226 F.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 3,172

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
Congrats ! I love my 226 , You will find it is a very good riding boat . I use 3M wax / cleaner , it works the best for me . What part of FL are you in ?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I also use the 3M stuff. I use the super duty rubbing compound, part number 05954 first, followed by Finesse-it finish compound, part number 05928, and top it off with Collinite wax. Seems to give good results for me.

As far as a top, I have a friend that found a hardtop from a similar year vintage Grady that he modified a little to fit his '86 Seafarer. Turned out great, then had curtains made to fit. He had been running the Bimini on his but his curtains were due to be replaced so he chose that route. Might be something to think about.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
RTNEPTUNE said:
Congrats ! I love my 226 , You will find it is a very good riding boat . I use 3M wax / cleaner , it works the best for me . What part of FL are you in ?

I live in Jupiter FL just north of West Palm Beach. Thanks for the information.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
I also use the 3M stuff. I use the super duty rubbing compound, part number 05954 first, followed by Finesse-it finish compound, part number 05928, and top it off with Collinite wax. Seems to give good results for me.

As far as a top, I have a friend that found a hardtop from a similar year vintage Grady that he modified a little to fit his '86 Seafarer. Turned out great, then had curtains made to fit. He had been running the Bimini on his but his curtains were due to be replaced so he chose that route. Might be something to think about.

A T-top would be great to find, and add the curtains when needed, I will keep my eyes open for something.

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
SirGrady226 said:
RTNEPTUNE said:

I live in Jupiter FL just north of West Palm Beach. Thanks for the information.

I bought my boat in Stuart , and brought it over here to the west coast ( ft.Myers) area .

SirGrady226

Reaction score
After pricing what it would cost to restore the twin Johnson 140's, I decided instead to purchase another pair of them for parts from a northern state (less corrosion from fresh water). So for 2 grand I have two more outboards that have no serious corrosion on the mid section and control areas. I will have two extra power heads, and many spare parts to either keep in reserve or sell to recoup. I thought it was a no brainer, should help me get it on the water much sooner.

Last edited:

Punch53

Reaction score
I myself am looking for a Great Lakes OX66 250. I figure fresh water and a real short boating season.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I spent the day taking out the fuel tank, then cleaning the bilge. Nasty, nasty, nasty! Tried posting pictures and it sent me to a page with some type of list on top, when I tried to go back to my post, it was blank. Had to type this all over again. :bang

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I decided to look at new fuel tank options instead of having this one repaired. Since this tank is the second one this boat has had, I thought a polyethylene replacement should eliminate corrosion problems. The best replacement I found is the Moeller FT11101 111 gallon unit, dimensions look great except the length is longer. I will have to relocate the bulkhead farther back that separates the two tank compartments. Cost seems very much lower going this route, since a friend can do the glass work needed for the bulkhead. Fill hose nipple points to the opposite side than needed, but I think there is enough room to flex the new fill hose and curve it around.

Last edited:

UCPA111

Reaction score
You may want to contact Patriot Marine in NJ. They just built me a beautiful tank. Fits perfectly. He makes replacement grady tanks.

gw204

Reaction score
I got the tank for my old 227 from Sunrise Marine Tanks (not to be confused with Sunshine). Sunrise was the cheapest by far and although it wasn't the prettiest tank I've ever seen, it I was happy with it.

http://www.sunrisemarinetanks.com/

If I remember correct, the guys name was Tony.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Might want to give Florida Marine Tanks a call. I know they built the tanks for the later models, that's what is in mine, not sure about the early ones. Looks like they have an address down in Miami, so local for you living in Florida. Come to think of it, my buddy replaced his in his '88 Seafarer with a FMT one, exact fit. Worth a call.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
UCPA111 said:
You may want to contact Patriot Marine in NJ. They just built me a beautiful tank. Fits perfectly. He makes replacement grady tanks.
I have an ‘87 Overnighter and replaced the tank in mine also.
I had a tank made up by Patriot Marine and can verify that you will pay a fair price, get exactly what you want and he will deliver the finished tank exactly when he says he will. You will have zero complaints!
I had issue with the factory tank being such a tight fit that I ended up cutting the old tank in half to get it out. The new tank was made an inch shorter and less in width so it dropped back in without issue.
I also installed a completely set of new fuel and vent lines, clamps and a Racor filter. I suggest you do too.
While your at it, does your hatch cover flex when you step on it? It’s probably got a couple gallons of water in the wood core. I recored mine with 5/8” plywood leaving a3/4” gap between the edge of the fiberglass and the wood so when the screw holes are drilled it’s through epoxy only. That way there will be no more water intrusion. I used West system epoxy. It was pricey but easy to use and the hatch is now as solid as a rock!
Mike

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I decided to go with a local company for building my new fuel tank, cost is 940.00 for better 3/16" aluminum and premium sending unit. I dropped off the old tank so he could match everything important. Tried in vain to find a pre made poly tank that would fit without major modifications, I plan on coating this tank with self etching epoxy primer. All corrosion present on the old tank was limited to where the rubber pads touched it, going to go with a different material this time around using fiberglass and expanded PVC instead of rubber. All new fuel fill, vent, and outboard supply lines are to replace the old outdated ones. VRO system will be bypassed and fuel pre mixed in the tank.

I was lucky to find nice usable cabin bulkheads, switch panel, and cabin cushions for sale on this site, my originals are in much rougher shape. New dual bilge pumps, and live well pump to be installed soon, then all electronics needed will be added while checking all electrical circuits. Lower units are off and getting new seals, fresh paint, and water pumps. Hydraulic steering lines, and steering ram seals to be replaced also. Last job will include mounting new water separators where the old oil tanks used to be, and installing new carb rebuild kits. So far it's been a fun project, the ole girl is going to be a sweet ride when finished.

Attachments

• 20171231_150943.jpg
    20171231_150943.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,327
Last edited: