25 Sailfish repower

Reaction score
I am restoring a 86 Sailfish with no transom bracket and want to install twin Honda 150s on it. Has anyone done this? Is it enough power? I am not going offshore just river and Chesapeake bay. Not worried about speed just want enough power to keep it on plane without over working the engines. What speed would it cruise if anyone has or had them on one? Thanks,

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
good morning. i have the the same boat and year as you. i would be cautious of weight with those motors. i have 200 etecs on mine . when the aux[aft] tank is full and with the weight of the motors its heavy in the back. i only fill the aux tank when running offshore. i counter the weight in the back by putting the 162 qt cooler with ice in the bow. this seems to help a little bit. my setup cruises at 4000 rpm at 23 to 25 knots. hope this helps Drew Ryan

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
also i think 2 strokes might be a better choice as i think you would get up on plane faster. i am also considering a repower with a 300 G2 etec. still looking into that

Reaction score
deepwaterdreamer111 said:
also i think 2 strokes might be a better choice as i think you would get up on plane faster. i am also considering a repower with a 300 G2 etec. still looking into that
Thank you for the info I was worried a little about the weight and if they would have enough torque to plane it. I am going to take your advise and install 200 hp Yamaha's ox66. I have one now on my 22 seafarer and do like it so I am going to stick with them. I do have 2 of them just need to get a counter rotating lower unit for one. I just bought a 150 Honda that needed a timing chain. I fixed it and was considering it and getting another for the Sailfish but gonna scratch that idea. Thanks again.