Fuel Additive with Ethanol-Free Gas?

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

This question is not specific to Grady Whites, but you all are my trusted community.

I am the new owner of twin 2012 Yamaha F225 XCA four-strokes. I have easy access to ethanol-free gas, and am wondering if I should still be using any kind of fuel treatment? My dealer recommends Yamalube Ring Free Plus Fuel Additive, but the bottle says it is designed for E10 fuel. It's rather expensive to keep using if it's only needed for ethanol.

Thanks for any advice!

seasick

Reaction score
Jonah said:
Hi all,

This question is not specific to Grady Whites, but you all are my trusted community.

I am the new owner of twin 2012 Yamaha F225 XCA four-strokes. I have easy access to ethanol-free gas, and am wondering if I should still be using any kind of fuel treatment? My dealer recommends Yamalube Ring Free Plus Fuel Additive, but the bottle says it is designed for E10 fuel. It's rather expensive to keep using if it's only needed for ethanol.

Thanks for any advice!

The fact that a product is 'designed' for ethanol does not mean that it it is not recommended for non ethanol gas. That said, Ring Free is not a fuel stabilizer, it is a product that helps reduce carbon buildup. On 2 strokes I highly recommend it and have been using it for a long time. I have read it is recommended also for 4 strokes but in general, they have less of a tendency to make carbon than 2 strokes. ( That statement should cause some dissenting comments)

There are similar products to Ring Free and next season I am going to try one since as mentioned, Ring Free's price has skyrocketed in the last few years

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From my experience, I was told by my Yam rep, that yes to use it on my F200 xb, but that shock treatment with Ring Free is unnecessary and a waist of product on a 4 stroke. I agree with seasick, it is getting ridiculous in price, and yes there are other products out there that do the job without damaging the piggy bank. Cheers, trapper

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For years, I've added Ring Free as well as PRI-G to my fuel, regardless of whether it's been regular unleaded or ethanol free. Knock on wood - I've never had a fuel system problem. For me, it's cheap insurance.

Shop around for the Ring Free. I split a case with another GG'er and we get it from domo-online.com

Fishtales

Reaction score
There are several additive options out there, ring free is the most popular as it is a Yamaha product. Brands have different to little detergents in them today, so if not sure of the pedigree of your fuel, it is a good idea to add it. Parthery has the best place to get it. Not so sure about cheap though... The stuff is expensive if you ask me and I'm not sure of the benefits. I add every other tank.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i've been using sta-bil in fuel for many decades. pre ethanol, i used it in the boat for winter layup. post, it goes in with every fuel up. i use ring free for the purpose it was designed. i've been using the one without stabilizer, but it is getting harder to find and is probably being phased out.
good luck, ron.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The most important additive to use for boat engines is a fuel stabilizer. Gasoline already contains some additives to stabilize the fuel against oxidation, but the amount used is only sufficient for a month or so (longer in a sealed container not exposed to high temperature). That's plenty for automotive use. But fuel in boats that are not used for commercial operations typically sit around for longer periods of time. Combined with the Coast Guard required open fuel system, you have perfect conditions for fuel degradation.

Many of the oxidation products that form during storage of gasoline are polar molecules that plate out on metal surfaces. This the brownish varnish that you see in older fuel systems. It can lead to blockages in narrow passages such as carburetor jets or fuel injectors. Oxidized gasoline also has poorer combustion properties than fresh fuel that can cause deposits on valves, rings, and upper cylinder surfaces. The chemistry for inhibiting fuel degradation is well established. The various fuel stabilizers that you can buy all contain compounds that oxidize more readily than gasoline components (anti-oxidants) and metal inactivators (metals can catalyze oxidation). Some also contain extra detergents that inhibit existing deposits from attaching to surfaces.

All fuel stabilizers work fine when used as directed. Non-ethanol fuel doesn't require as much anti-oxidants as E10, but all fuel will break down eventually. So it's a good idea to use a stabilizer all the time in your boat with any type of fuel.

Additives such as Ring Free Plus and Kwikleen are not fuel stabilizers but can prevent and to some extent remove combustion chamber deposits. Outboard engines run much cooler than car engines so they are particularly prone to the build-up of carbon-containing deposits. Top Tier automotive fuels typically contain enough additives to prevent deposit formation, while some unbranded gasolines do not. So Yamaha recommends Ring Free as insurance against poor quality fuel. Most ethanol free marine fuel is unbranded, so you have no way of knowing if the additive package would meet the Top Tier test standards. So using a concentrated polyetheramine product such as Ring Free, at least some of the time, is probably a good idea.

From personal experience, I have used StaBil fuel additive since 1975. I have had only one fuel related issue where I needed to rebuild a carburetor in an 8 hp Honda trolling motor. Every other engine was trouble free in some cases for over 20 years. I use Ring Free in my Yamaha since I get unbranded ethanol-free fuel at my marina.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've used Ring Free and Sta-Bil in every tank in my last 3 Yamaha rigged boats. Never had a problem regardless of the fuel, ethanol or non ethanol.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone. As usual, these are very helpful responses.

I am currently living in the Bahamas, so winterization or long-term storage will (hopefully!) not be an issue. My dealer recommended Ring Free for protection against carbon build-up, which several of you have mentioned already. So far, it sounds like four-strokes need products like Ring Free less than two-strokes do, but I should probably try to find Ring Free at a good price, or else find a good alternative, just as a precaution.

Can anyone recommend another product that protects against carbon buildup? What are some of these alternatives that aren't quite as pricey?

Also, for what it's worth, my ethanol-free fuel is coming from a "Rubis" station. Does anyone know much about the additives that Rubis already includes in their fuel?

Thanks again!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was told, not confirmed, that the older Ring Free, not the newer Ring Free Plus, was a concentrated version of Techron formulated specifically for Yamaha. I'm using it in my 4 strokes at least every other tank. No problems so far.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Parthery said:
For years, I've added Ring Free as well as PRI-G to my fuel, regardless of whether it's been regular unleaded or ethanol free. Knock on wood - I've never had a fuel system problem. For me, it's cheap insurance.

Shop around for the Ring Free. I split a case with another GG'er and we get it from domo-online.com

Ditto on the Pri-G. Leave the same gas in all winter and get great startup in the spring. Not terribly hard to find, but it's worth the effort to get it. And Ring Free to cut down on carbon.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used to buy PRI-G from Boaters World....I've never seen it in West Marine.

I buy it now on Amazon....press a button and 2 days later it shows up at my door.

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
does any one know if PRI-G is available in Canada , tried a few spots with not much luck. THIS stuff is used and proven by you guys, think I would like to start using specially if it helps cleaning injectors. I also run Yamaha ring free in my f250 4 stroke Yamaha

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have no experience with Pri-G so I can't comment one way or the other on it. But, as pointed out by Doc (and possibly others), the brand isn't the most important thing. Using a QUALITY brand is, however. Marine Stabil is also good. I've personally been using Startron for somewhere close to 15 years, now. I use it in ALL of my boat engines, along with mowers, weed whackers, chainsaws, snow blowers, etc, etc. I have had zero fuel issues and I NEVER run a carb dry for off season storage. I used to make sure to get the "full" formula for best bang-for-the-buck (1oz treats 16g). Although, over the last few years, I've been using the diesel formula as it's only 20% more in cost, yet doubles the treatment ratio. BUT, again, nothing against the Pri-G as I have zero experience with it. Point is, if you find a name brand that is easy for you to get - use it - don't worry if it's a "particular" brand.

billfish33

Reaction score
for my suzuki df300,
Been using biobar eb , I feel it does a good job preventing corrosion, also does a lot more and I use this throughout the season with ring free +

you can google biobar eb and corrosion , theres some nice tests that were done.