ventilation around the fuel tank 204c overniter

intrexgrp

Reaction score
I have a 204C overniter and just pulled the fuel tank cover over the fuel tank. The previous owner had siliconed the joint and the wood underneith the tank are very wet with condensation. how can I get this area to breath. Any suggestions would be helpful as i don't want to corrode the tank or rot the framing around it.
Thank You
Craig

Attachments

• IMG-20171125-00185.jpg
    IMG-20171125-00185.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 574

Punch53

Reaction score
When I'm at the dock I remove my deckplates on my Seafarer and replace with these. They just snap in and look great. My belowdecks are dry as a bone now. No more black funk and mold. I can't recall whether they were 6" or 8"? They were $6 apiece at Lowes.

https://www.ndspro.com/8-inch-round-gra ... k#overview

nds-6-inch-round-drain-grate-black_1.jpg
]

Fishtales

Reaction score
The deck should be sealed so water drains overboard and not into the bilge where it has to be evacuated. The deck ports are inspection ports, these should not allow water to penetrate.
While stored and not exposed to the elements (boat is covered or stored out of the weather), slotted covers may allow the bilge to breath better, but it isn't a sealed environment. GW usually uses rubber between the braces and tank, which it appears from your picture, you have. If you store out of the weather, the slotted covers look like an option. If it were me, I'd position the boat so the bilge drains out the garboard plug, pull the deck every couple of years, spray the area with a mildew remover and cleaner (I like the Zep in the blue gallon container sold at HD). Let is sit a few minutes and hose it all out. Then install the deck, reseal with GE Silicone (almond) and inspect the inspection ports. You can buy rubber rings or replace entirely from Beckson Marine. I don't think there is a method to get the bilge to breath. I wouldn't worry about the wood being wet. It if deteriorates, it is simple bracing for the deck that can be replaced. Just my 2 pennies.

Fishtales

Reaction score
What is the year of your boat?

intrexgrp

Reaction score
Good suggestions guys. I am going to leave the floor up for the winter then get some GE silicone and a trip to lowes all in one shot.
it is a 1985. I have only had it 3 years and am the 3rd owner. I love it.
Thanks again for your help and support.
Craig.

Skiffler

Reaction score
My boat is on the trailer a lot at the house. If the forecast calls for not rain for a few days I just pop the covers and leave he bulge door open. Also where the access ports were at for the ice boxes behind the seats I installed 6 inch round vents to try to get air movement year round.

I replace my tank a year ago and was shocked by the amount of moisture in the area the previous owner didn’t seal the deck that well.

Skiffler

Reaction score
Also sometimes I will put a leaf blower in the access hole and run for 30 mins.