Interpreting HID numbers

G243

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the imbedded information of the Hull Identification Numbers. I would like to know the production number for my 243 Chase built in 1994.

Also, does anybody have an idea how many 243's were built before they started on the 263 Chase boats. I'm just curious.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
An old post from 10 years ago. Post your # for comparison.

Postby Maguire208 » Dec Thu 27, 2007 10:05 pm
From what I've been told your grady's HIN's should look something like this- NTLAD(xxx)G900
NTL-Grady's manufacturer code
AD-Adventure model
xxx-your hull's serial #
G-This letter represents the month the boat was built (July)
9-The year it was built (1999)
00-The boats model year (2000)
Since the model year changeover occurs in july, your boat is a 2000. Your engine was manufactured only one month before the boat. I don't think it's a big deal, but this is certainly a part of the reason that Yamaha dropped model year designations on their engines.
2002 Grady-White 208
Yamaha 200 HPDI

Reactions: Greg EMO

G243

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. According to your details my serial number is 243 built in April (D). I can't help but wonder if my hull was the first Chase built. Perhaps they began with the new design being a CH243.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe the 3 digit number starts at 1 and rolls forward. Not sure if it resets year to year. I'm guessing no as mine is 366 and it would be hard to believe they built that many (likely more) in a single year. But who knows.

G243

Reaction score
It really would make sense if they started at 001. If so I guess somebody had to have the number 243 and I won. Lol

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
Reading this post got my curiosity going. I did some google searches but couldn't come up with all the specific codes found in my HIN. I emailed Grady (my first ever email to them) and was VERY impressed with how quickly I received a response (an hour maybe... within 2 for sure). This is what I received back.....

27057233589_119bd84f51_b.jpg

MONTHS:
A - August
B - September
C - October
D - November
E - December
F - January
G - February
H - March
I - April
J - May
K - June
L - July

Granted I inquired regarding my year (1983) but I wonder if these codes still hold true for years to come after 1983.

Hope this helps

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ran my 2004 HIN by this info, part of it works, part of it doesn't. Must have changed later on.

G243

Reaction score
Some interesting stuff and helpful comments. Wish we had more year for year reports just to satisfy our interest for our GreatGrady's.

seasick

Reaction score
Ab excerpt from a Boat US article.

For years, U.S. Coast Guard regulations required boat manufacturers to use August 1 of the previous year as the cutoff date for the next model year. For example, a boat built in September 2011 could be called a 2012 model, but if it was built in July, it had to be sold as a 2011.

In 2012, boat builders petitioned the Coast Guard to change the date to June 1, allowing for an extra two months of production to still be labeled as next year's model. Manufacturers argued that because of marine production schedules, which, unlike automaker schedules, tend to fall at erratic times throughout the year, they needed to have more flexibility in designating the time span of their new model year.

The Coast Guard agreed to make the change, permitting a couple of months of last year's boats to be called this year's.
The information with the boat's model year is contained in the hull identification number (HIN), which is a label permanently affixed to the boat. The number includes a date assigned by the builder. This date is technically not the date of manufacture; rather, it's the date on which the boat was certified by the builder to meet Coast Guard regulations.
Some boats, especially large ones, may be on the floor for months before completion (even straddling the June cutoff date), while others may be finished in a matter of days. To be consistent, the Coast Guard uses the date the manufacturer says the boat meets federal regs. Once the HIN is assigned and affixed, that date becomes the boat's model year, regardless of when it was actually finished.