Fiberglass 265 Express

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Had to have some fiberglass work done on topside of boat. Guy did a great job with glassing looks brand new, Problem now is that hull looks so dull. How can I bring up to get to to match? I do wax every year .
Thanks

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've been restoring 13ft Whalers and most have heavy to medium oxidation. I've tried many approaches on the Whalers and on my 265 and the best method I've found is with a 7" rotary buffer (not dual action), a Lake County wool cutting pad and 3M Restorer and Wax. Brings the shine and color back amazingly well. If it's really oxidized, use a DA sander with 240 followed by 400/800/1000/2000 grits and then use the buffer with the 3M product. It will look like new. Don't use too much pressure; let the product or sanding grit do the work. You should wash the area to be refinished with acetone to remove residual wax before buffing. Good luck

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can try Collinite Cleaner #920 before waxing. I clean the hull every year with it prior to waxing both with a machine buffer. If the gelcoat has a lot of oxidation try a more aggressive compound. I used Dupont #7 cut 50/50 with water in the past and it takes the oxidation away.