Water Collecting Behind Fridge ... Drain to Bilge?

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

I have a new (to me) ’95 Sailfish 272, and I’ve just discovered some standing water behind the refrigerator. The bottom picture below shows the access port in which I found it, but the water was way in the back, behind the fridge. The middle picture shows a limited view from just inside the port. I then removed the lid above the back of the fridge, and reached down to clear up as much water as I could. the top picture shows the water from that angle.

I'll need to figure out where the water came from, so I'll monitor during rain or after taking waves over the bow. My main question is this: shouldn’t that water be draining to the bilge? Does anyone know if I should be able to find a drain that needs to be cleared?

Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 577

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm guessing the fridge freezes over and when thawed it drains there or it is coming in through the window. If the latter, you need to take the window apart and re-seal. If the refer and you know it drains into the bilge you can drill a small hole to let it weep. There is water going into the bilge from other sources, so in my opinion this is fine.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Fishtales.

I have not yet used the fridge, so that's eliminated. It could indeed be the window, so I will investigate the next time it rains.

Strangely, more water collected there after I removed it the first time, so I'm continuing to monitor it.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update: After second round of removing water, no more has collected in 36 hours. So, that eliminates my bigger worries. I will check the next time it rains, and will also play around with the faucet water pressure, in case there is a leak there.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good idea on the water system. On my 282 I double clamped all the water lines at the faucets as I would have one pop off due to the pressure every now and then. Same with the aft freshwater washdown. That little washdown mechanism isn't the best designed if you ask me....

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update: I heard back from Grady White, who confirmed that there is no drain in that area. So clearly, water should not be collecting back there. It's raining hard here this week, so I'll check back there today or tomorrow. If not that, I'll check the sink hose when under pressure, as mentioned above.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update: Yep, it's rainwater. Good to have an answer, but of course this raises another question about finding the leak. I will make a separate post about that soon.

Thanks again for the input, as always.