Beach fishing in Mexico

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Morning Guys, Need a little help with some fishing advice. Heading down to Puerto Morelos (Caribbean side) for six weeks in January. Would some of you in the know, tell me what kind of lures I should use spin casting from the beach and what fish I could be fishing for. I am sure it is quite different from beach fishing off Vancouver Island. Just a bit of a break from snorkelling, sipping cold beer and walking the sandy beaches. OOOOps, sorry I think I said too much. Looking forward to some answers! Cheers, trapper. :hmm :D :D :D

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I would guess there are tarpon, bonefish, permit, barracuda, jacks.
I would have a popping plug, a casting metal(Kastmaster or DeadlyDick), and a bucktail jig.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have learned that it works best to just wait till you get there and talk to the locals. You can bet they fish and you can bet that they have figured out what works. It will all be available there and when you leave make a gift of the rod and reel you bought to the guy that has helped you the most. You will be remembered on your next trip.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys, My question regarding beach fishing, come from the situation where I have never seen any beach fishers in the area, Yes some go out every day with nets and I assume some lures to fish (Trolling?) but have never seen anyone beach fishing. This is about the fun of effort, rather than catching fish for the BBQ. If I was lucky enough land a couple I would give them to the locals, who I am sure would be ok with that. Just looking for a little more fun in the sun while holidaying in a beautiful corner of the planet. Appreciate the info on lures to try Skunkboat. Cheers, trapper :D :D :D

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
trapper said:
Thanks guys, My question regarding beach fishing, come from the situation where I have never seen any beach fishers in the area, Yes some go out every day with nets and I assume some lures to fish (Trolling?) but have never seen anyone beach fishing. This is about the fun of effort, rather than catching fish for the BBQ. If I was lucky enough land a couple I would give them to the locals, who I am sure would be ok with that. Just looking for a little more fun in the sun while holidaying in a beautiful corner of the planet. Appreciate the info on lures to try Skunkboat. Cheers, trapper :D :D :D

I haven't done it in the Caribbean but I have done it on business trips to various southern states and on a family trip to Disney. Just a small rod and a spinnerbait. Caught a few bass every morning before sunrise until they sent the Disney cops after me....

gotta watch the RULES!!!! Sometimes they are protecting the livelihood of local guides... I get it....

Good luck