Is a used GW with HPDI engines worth it.

Graybeard

Reaction score
So far we are 0 for 2 on attempts to buy a used Express 330 and a used Marlin 300. The Express 330 had 2003 F225 Yamaha’s with the known dry exhaust corrosion problems. The bank said no to that boat loan. The Marlin 300 was repowered with low hour 2009 F250’s. But the marine survey found too much hull core delamination. So I don’t have to wait for the bank to say no to this one. So we’re still in the market and some of the available boats have OX-66 2-cycles or HPDI engines. I’m flat out not interested in the OX-66 engines, but I don’t know enough about the HPDI engines to know if I want to consider the or not. Any opinions or experiences would be a big help. Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Keep looking. Get a survey from a reputable surveyor. Boats are fun, but they are going to cost a fortune. My advice is simple, buying the boat is the easiest part. It is the other expenses that can ruin your boating experience if you are not prepared. You will have:
- Fuel and other operating expenses that you probably have under estimated.
- Maintenance and winterization.
- Fishing or other water sports.
- Safety and other gear.
- Trailer/truck or slip fees.
- The far too often oh-crap expense. Things break and an unreliable boat will destroy your fun.

Not being a debbie downer, but you sound like your on the edge going into this. Boating can be fun, but one thing for sure it is expensive.

Graybeard

Reaction score
LOL.....I already live the “Break Out Another Thousand” life. I have a Freedom 225, which is my 3rd boat, all bought new. But the wife wants a GW big enough to sleep on, so this time we’re looking used. Just spent $1k for a marine survey to learn a nice looking Marlin 30 was badly delaminated. It was very disappointing and the surveyor had to pull me aside to talk me out of buying the boat. It was an emotional decision for me and it really PO’ed the Broker. So far I’ve learned a lot about the construction quality of late 90’s and early 2000 GW’s. Not what I was expecting

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My experience with looking for a 265 express was that boats with newer engines (4 strokes with exhaust repaired) were always overpriced.
2003 's were $50-$65K with 14 yr old 4 strokes
2000-2001s were generally listed at $40-$45k and not selling.
I got one for $22k from a motivated seller and the Ox66s run.
If I repower with inline 200s I get a boat with brand new engines for the price of a 2003 with 14 yr old motors.

Point is...You might find a 2000 or 2002 with old 2 strokes that you basically are not paying for. Use the savings to buy brand new 4 strokes.

Reactions: Jargon

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The HPDI 200 was and is a great engine - there were issue with one of the HPDIs, I think it was the 300.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 200 HPDI is one of the best engines Yamaha made....I'd buy one tomorrow.

The 250 and 300 HPDI were among the worst engines Yamaha ever made....

If you can find one with OX66s that meets the rest of your requirements, and it's priced right, I'd buy it in a second. They will run forever. Are they thirsty? Yes? Do you have to buy oil? Yes. Do they start right up and give a good kick when you hit the throttle? Yes. Run it for a year or two then repower to 4 strokes when the timing is right.

Reactions: Jargon

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
As others have said, get a good surveyor. If he finds issues with the engines you can factor that into the deal.
Buy and base the price on just the boat and price the engines low if anything as rebuildable cores.
Unlike some older 2 strokes (Suzuki DTs) Yamaha’s are rebuildable with shops offering warranties on their work. True they may not be as fuel efficient but they weigh far less than a 4 stroke and you’ll have 2 rebuilt engines for probably the same price or less than one new 4 stroke.
That’s money saved for the other things that tend to pop up when you buy a used boat. Fuel tanks, electronics, etc...
That wouldn’t matter to the guy who can afford to buy a new Grady but I can assume since your looking at used boats your pockets aren’t bottomless.
Hey if anyone wonders why you didn’t want to get a second mortgage to buy new engines just say you stuck with the Yamaha’s to keep it a period correct restoration. :wink:
Mike

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Parthery said:
If you can find one with OX66s that meets the rest of your requirements, and it's priced right, I'd buy it in a second. They will run forever. Are they thirsty? Yes? Do you have to buy oil? Yes. Do they start right up and give a good kick when you hit the throttle? Yes. Run it for a year or two then repower to 4 strokes when the timing is right.

Exactly!

but YES, They are THIRSTY!!!!

Slacktime

Reaction score
I have an 03 Marlin that Im thinking about selling. It has F225s that were rebuilt with new dry exhaust in 2012. There was no failure as I caught it in time. They have run flawlessly ever since. They now have 1050 hours. Just had em serviced and mechanic says they are flawless. Send pm if you are interested.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If you can get a good deal on a 2-stroke boat, and plan on re-powering and keeping it for a while then It may be worth it.

Jereazy

Reaction score
gw204 said:
I would buy a well maintained OX66 over a HPDI or 4-stroke any day.

this right here. the ox66 engine is fantastic. When properly maintained you cannot kill this engine. And, it's crazy easy to work on, and parts are easy to come by.

People say they are thirsty, but if you're shopping for a boat based on it's fuel economy, then your priorities are off.

against the wind

Reaction score
DO NOT be afraid of the ox66 motor, you cant kill them. they run forever and are bullet proof.. At least mine was, never gave me a problem. flawless motor !!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Jereazy said:
gw204 said:
I would buy a well maintained OX66 over a HPDI or 4-stroke any day.

People say they are thirsty, but if you're shopping for a boat based on it's fuel economy, then your priorities are off.

Well, I bought a boat with Ox66s, so knowing they had a reputation for drinking gas didn't stop me...but... my 265 holds 250 gallons and I still have to carry extra 25 gl for safety to run to the canyons (carrying portable gas sucks) and I can't go from one canyon to another, I have to pick one and stick it out. So fuel economy is not just a $ priority it is a FISHING priority and that is the #1 priority. :<><

Again, I think going for a good boat just a few years before the 4 stroke change over makes the best $ense because you are not paying up for old 4 strokes. From what I've read here recently, a lot of 2003-04 Gradys with Yami 4 strokes are already repowering.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I guess if your planning on repowering the boat it really doesn't matter what engines it has on it. You will probably be able to find a better deal on a 2 stroke boat, so that would be a good route to go.

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
I have no intention of hijacking this thread so if what I am doing is a friendly hijack I'll move along and start a new thread.

Engine talk has gotten me thinking about engines. I am restoring an old boat and this discussion as helped. As suggested...
drbatts said:
If you can get a good deal on a 2-stroke boat, and plan on re-powering and keeping it for a while then It may be worth it.
That is what I was thinking... a 2 stroke to get up and running for a season or 2 and then repower.... and I am leaning towards Yamahas.

I found this engine locally
VjPWoX2m.jpg

1998 225 OX66.. $3,950.

I am very green when it comes to the larger engines. Does that sound good? unknown hours and no controls. I don't think the hours can be pulled from the computer.. correct? I like the comments saying that the OX66 is bulletproof. Reliability is important.

On the other hand there is a Yamaha 250 HPDI in CT (https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bpo/d/yamaha-250-hpdi-30-leg/6447921552.html) controls and all for a grand more. I haven't called to inquire what year it is.

The engine decision is overwhelming me and while I think I could score a better deal during the off-season I'm sure people are holding off until the weather gets warm again. thoughts?

Thanks