Balsa Hull Cores

Graybeard

Reaction score
Looking at used GW Marlin 300’s and Express 330’s. I just paid $1k for a marine survey on a nice looking Marlin 30 nay to learn the balsa hull cores were badly delaminated and what wasn’t already delaminated pegged the moisture meter. The surveyor and the repair shop I went to for a repair estimate advised me to stay away from balsa cored GW’s, but they weren’t sure when GW stopped using it. I was told the 2005’s we’re a safe bet, but I was wondering if anyone knows for sure? The repair shop told me to buy my own moisture meter and only consider boats that don’t peg the meter.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think it is later than 2005. I'd contact GW via the website and see what they say. I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say....

Slacktime

Reaction score
I mounted a thru hull transducer under my 03 Marlin and drilled out a 2 3/8 inch hole with a hole saw. The bottom was solid fiberglass.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I believe he's referring to the hull sides, not the hull bottom. I don't know, myself, but the only source I would trust would be Mother Grady. I certainly wouldn't trust a bunch of yahoo's on some forum when it comes to something like this. Oh wait... I'm on a forum! :mrgreen:

Slacktime

Reaction score
Transducers go on the bottom and that is where I drilled the hole.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In another post he was talking about a boat that had delamination between the fiberglass and coring - but this was a thru-hull on the side of the hull. That's why I "assumed" that's the area (hull side, not hull bottom) he was still referring to.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Balsa coring is the sides of the hull only. The bottom is solid glass.

tx

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Fish, does that mean that even the newer ones use balsa coring? Or are they now using a composite core?

For what it's worth there's nothing wrong with balsa coring and it is a perfectly good technique... if done correctly and any possible damage to a cored area is addressed on a timely basis.