Overly tight helm seats

Graybeard

Reaction score
I’ll admit to some extra pounds on me, but the helm seats in the 2003 Marlin 30 I’m looking at are very tight and uncomfortable. The seating position seems high as well. I had the same issue with the 2003 Express 33 we took a shot at. Anyone else experience the same?

NO WAKE

Reaction score
Are you referring to the width of the seats between the arm rests? If so....not much you can do about that except find some wider seats. I'm not familiar with that model boat but if the seats are mounted on a pedestal then you can simply cut the tube off a few inches to lower the seat height. I believe it's just a 3" aluminum tube.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe you have the Helm Chair II with the metal arms. My 282 had them initially. The passage between the two helm chairs was tight, no the chair itself.
You have a few options:
- Remove the inboard arm rest. You still have the starboard interior to keep you enclosed.
- Pull out the chair and install a lean post.
- If you have the companion seat, you may be able to install a new larger chair. You could even move the base toward the starboard side a bit to give you more room in the helm.
- Find another boat with a layout that fits you better.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I went to see the boat today, put down the deposit and sign the sales agreement. The helm seats are adjustable, but were in need of some WD-40 to loosen them up. I’m used to the helm seat on my Freedom 225 which is more comfortable and lower. Looking out over the bow of the Marlin 30 and sitting up so high was certainly different