Let's Talk Tackle

Fishtales

Reaction score
Curious what and where folks buy their tackle. I fish for saltwater striped bass, bluefish, seabass, and bluefin tuna.
Some of the top tackle I hvave: 9ers & M&M umbrella rigs (shad and squid), hogy softbait and epoxy, saltybugger's topwater & sinking, yozuri and rebel, santini tube and worm, diamond bucktail jigs and norwegian cod lures, deadly dicks, atomic poppers, sabiki and mack trees and squid bars frequent two local shops, tackle direct, American fishing and tackle co, alltackle, THT, stearling and terminal tackle co.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You know what you want to look for and that’s half the battle.
It’s the season for fishing flea markets held at fire houses and schools. Their usually organized by local fishing clubs and can provide some decent bargains. Do a google search for them in your area or check Craig’s list for postings.
I’m planning on replacing what got broke off and doubling up on what worked for me this year so it whatever gets lost next year I have backed it up. It also hurts less when you lose $10 instead of $30. :wink:
Oh ya, more soft plastics, bluefish can be bad with them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree with restocking what works for you...
Sometimes you can find some buys at the larger Walmarts. I find some stores have a small section or favor freshwater.
Curious what others do as I like to find effective gear when it is on sale versus paying top dollar the day before a trip.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Dick’s sporting goods has a lot of what we use but the prices are average though.
Go to a fishing flea market and you’ll see what I’m saying. Mojo rigs can be had for half the usual price.

Fishtales

Reaction score
No more GW fishing guys here? My how things have changed.....

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I mainly go for catfish. Floats, hooks, sinkers and 12 6500C3 Ambassadeur, on Ugly Stick cat rods is my tackle.
Sinkers are custom, buckshot and paracord, hooks from Wally World, floats from the fish camp I go out of, rods and reels from Bass Pro

Attachments

• 20171004_162922-600x800.jpg
    20171004_162922-600x800.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 948

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
5 rod spread,,, well 3, the other 2 are out of pic.

Ready to go!!

Coming back in from great day of fishing.

Attachments

• 20171006_114336-600x800.jpg
    20171006_114336-600x800.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 948
  • 20170917_180449-600x800.jpg
    20170917_180449-600x800.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 948
  • 20171003_155343-600x800.jpg
    20171003_155343-600x800.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 948

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
So much for the stereotype of hillbilly’s in crappy boats fishin for cats!
That’s about the nicest cat boat I’ve ever seen, nice catch too!
I use my Grady for channel cats and flatheads on the Delaware River sometimes.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lt.Mike said:
So much for the stereotype of hillbilly’s in crappy boats fishin for cats!
That’s about the nicest cat boat I’ve ever seen, nice catch too!
I use my Grady for channel cats and flatheads on the Delaware River sometimes.

Thanks,,,I think.

Been going after cats in Santee for 29 years. The Grady may be overkill, but I love it.

BTW, that was a one day catch, pretty much do that well most days.

Fish box crammed on another day.

Attachments

• 20171002_163255-600x800.jpg
    20171002_163255-600x800.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 928

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Fishtales said:
Curious what and where folks buy their tackle. I fish for saltwater striped bass, bluefish, seabass, and bluefin tuna.
Some of the top tackle I hvave: 9ers & M&M umbrella rigs (shad and squid), hogy softbait and epoxy, saltybugger's topwater & sinking, yozuri and rebel, santini tube and worm, diamond bucktail jigs and norwegian cod lures, deadly dicks, atomic poppers, sabiki and mack trees and squid bars frequent two local shops, tackle direct, American fishing and tackle co, alltackle, THT, stearling and terminal tackle co.

It sounds like we fish for similar species. All of the places you listed are good. You can add shark river mail order and Jigs Rigs and Stuff to the list too. I also go to a couple of the annual fishing shows over the winter, and stock up on stuff there as well.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That's a nice days work! Great pics...

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use my Grady for offshore fishing out of Homosassa, but I have a skiff for inshore and lots of friends with bay boats for everything in between.

I used to try and fish every other day. But I've had to slow down as I've gotten older. I go through lots of gear so I'm what you call price sensitive as far as tackle goes. I get most of my stuff from Tackle Direct and Stryker Lures.

https://www.tackledirect.com/

http://strikertackle.com/

I get hooks and swivels from Walmart and my sinkers from a guy at Howard's Flea Market.

Here are a couple of random pictures of what we catch down here:

FOnNbv.jpg

ikk3ek.jpg

phFkdx.jpg

https://imageshack.com/a/img633/9143/7qspEj.jpg
NZzUJU.jpg

mLf9nr.jpg

UOVkOz.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some nice fish there capt. What type of grabber do you have (white and red) in the pic's?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those are just cheapo Walmart grippers. They work better than Boca Grips in that they don't let the fish spin. This makes it easier to control fish, particularly if they have teeth and you don't want to bring them into the boat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I can see them coming in handy with the bluefish up north..... Will keep an eye out for them.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I fish in RI and sometimes Ma. We primarily target striped bass, blue fish, albies, some black sea bass and tuna. I have more tackle than I need. Having a Bass Pro shop a few miles from home doesn't help. I tend to troll 9er rigs and tube and worm for the Bass and blues. Sometimes we use deep diver swimmer lures if it is only blues around. We have just started jigging for bass with diamond and epoxy jigs. For Albies, we primarily use the epoxy jigs from Hogy Lures.

We primarily troll for tuna with green machines and various squid bars and chains. We have had pretty good success with this when we actually get out. last year we started using ballyhoo and will continue to try next year. We jig for tuna primarily with Ronzi lures. We rarely do this

In General, I go to Bass Pro for all types of fishing primarily for the convenience and the their salt water tackle seems to be getting better in terms of selling lures for the northeast fisherman. When it first opened, it seem to have more a FLA tackle selection.

For bass, blues,albies I also go to Ocean state tackle (great hours),and sometimes Red Top on the cape if I am down that way.

For offshore lures, such as squid bars, green machines, I tend to go to CMS tackle( rods and Carlson squid bars)New Bedford Ma, Fisherman Outfitters Gloucester MA, and Captn Harry, FLA

Hope all had a good Christmas

Jeff

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I only truly get to fish a handful of times a year. I try to go to Fla in the spring and fish out of Port Canaveral with my brother. Then I try to get to the Keys in the summer. So, I hit some local tackle places either in Brevard county or in the Keys, add a Walmart, West Marine or Tackle Direct in there . I target dolphin on the troll or when in the Keys will bottom fish for snapper.

Family time is important to me and my now 16 year old son does not enjoy lake fishing at all and honestly, we don't eat freshwater fish even trout here in the mountains. It's just too fishy for me. So my boat is a cruiser -water sports rig most if the time.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Did someone say fishing?

I use my Marlin as a charter out of Garibaldi, OR. My favorite trips are for albacore tuna, but I like halibut trips almost as much. We fish 700+ feet for halibut so I run electrics for the ease of bait checks.

I also do bottom fishing trips that are near shore, they are great for kids to get comfortable on the ocean. I run a lingcod lure (pipe jig or large plastic) with a couple shrimp flies above on dropper loops. The action is fast and the kids don't get bored. We often drop pots for Dungeness crab to make a full meal at the end of the day.

For tuna I bring 20 some rods, for casting swimbaits, jigging, bait and of course some trolling. I will also run some fly fishing trips for tuna using 12 weight rods. As I said, tuna trips are my favorite, but it all depends on how close the albacore come to shore. A great year is 20-25 miles. Last year they were fussy and a long ways out, 55-65 miles. That is a healthy run in the PNW waters.

Randy