1983 Seafarer 226 repower to Etec 150..... no joke!

Boomhauer

Reaction score
After everyone puts their eyes back in their sockets ...... finish reading before dismissing.
My hope is that this will help vintage Grady owners who are looking to repower.

First some background...... my dad was the original owner before turning the boat over to me a few years ago. I rewired and replumbed the old girl. Both efforts being a significant upgrades as any of you older Grady owners can appreciate. The transom was redone 15 years ago or so, and she had a 1989 200hp Johnson. I had the 27 year old motor running great, but charging issues plagued me and I felt it was time to repower.
Extensive research kept returning common themes..... “I’ve never heard anyone complain about being overpowered” or “the 226 needs at least 225 or 250” etc....

My main two considerations were weight of the motor ( to maintain her great self bailing qualities) and low and mid range grunt as we are frequently loaded for diving ....
Here in the northern gulf.... I rarely could run wide open even if I wanted to, which I don’t.

This basically limited me to etec G1 or the in-line 200 Yamaha.

I had read often that the yammie was a weak 200, (wish Yamaha still made the hpdis) and wouldn’t suit my needs..... the in-line makes most of its hp at high rpm.

I then looked at the etec G1 150 and 200. Even with the 2 stroke, it seemed the 200 made its extra hp also at high rpm which I never get to.
Both motors are on the same v6 block.
For my needs, I chose the 150 and saved several grand over the 200.
Also, since brp is still making the 150, I got a 2018..... and a 10 year warranty which I didn’t turn down.

I admit I was a little nervous until I put it on plane for the first time today (not counting brief test run at the dealers)
We had 4 adults, 3 8-10 year olds, ice, 1/2 tank of fuel.

The boat jumped on plane noticeably faster than the old 200.
It still had good acceleration if I goosed it at higher rpms.
We cruised at 23 knots at 4K rpm.

Mileage was obviously a huge improvement.

So, for anyone repowering an older boat, consider the etec (or used hpdis)..... even a 150 for a 226 Seafarer....... believe it!

I’m probably the only Seafarer owner alive with a 150, but am happy as a clam with it..... more than enough grunt for my needs.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good input for folks with older boats. I think with the sentimental tie and the fact that you know the boat had work done and solid makes it a solid play. Good luck with the boat, sounds like you are happy and in the end, that is all that matters!

Boomhauer

Reaction score
Very true.
It just feels like so much online advice is focus on bigger and faster is better. For some people I’m certain that is true.
But I took a little risk and it paid off well with weight, cost, and performance.
If Yamaha was still making the HPDIs, I would probably have gone with one of those, but am very happy with the evinrude.
The bottom line is one size doesn’t fit all and there are some tightly and stubbornly held myths out there.
The modern 2 strokes are great engines and perfect for some boaters with the right application.
Hope this helps a few out there....

UCPA111

Reaction score
You are right...one size doesn't fit all. I recently acquired a 1983 seafarer 226. I'm doing a restoration and looking into a new motor. Can you tell me what mpg's you're seeing and the top end?

I am converting to a full height transom and adding a bracket with floatation...

Thanks!

Boomhauer

Reaction score
UCPA111,
Haven’t had it out much since repower, toooooo cold. However, I ran about 50-60 nautical miles in 2-3ft seas with 4 adults and 3 kids and half tank of fuel. The boat got on plane quickly for having no tabs. Guessing I burnt 20 -25 gallons , maybe less.
With a full transom, weight will surely be an issue unless you are adding floatation.
I would really consider the small block etec 150 or 200s.... I’m no speed demon so it’s perfect for me.
And 10 year warranty too!!!

Boomhauer

Reaction score
There are some comparable performance reports on the evinrude library....
Look at the hydra sports 21 walkaround, Henry comparable weight to the vintage 226s