Converting GW 24 Explorer from single to twin engine...Help

Reaction score
I have a 1993 24 Explorer (246G--enclosed transom) with a 2004 Yamaha 225 four stroke. I am at the crossroads again--the 3rd re-do. The question is anybody out there running 24 offshore or preferably the 24 explorer with twin suzuki 140's or any twin engines? Has anybody out there converted their boat from single engine to twins and was it worth the effort?

Thanks,
Dan

chrisk

Reaction score
Re: Converting GW 24 Explorer from single to twin engine...H

I have a '92 246G. Not twins but I just repowered with a 2016 Yamaha 250 V Max. 4.2 litre - great power. Was able to use the original mechanical controls. I would be a bit leery about twins (especially four strokes) on the back because of the added weight. I replaced a 2003 225 four stroke and the increase in performance is amazing. Worth a look.

Chris

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

It seems like a lot of work and money? Would you have to, at least partially, close in the transom? I'm going to guess that you'd end up adding about 400lbs in engine weight, plus whatever the transom work adds, plus the weight of the bracket. You'd absolutely need to get a flotation bracket - but I have no idea what kind of buoyancy a bracket can provide - if it's enough to offset all of the extra weight, or not. That would be a good conversation for the bracket manufacturer.

What's the reasoning behind why you want to do this? Are you going 50 miles offshore on a regular basis and want the redundancy?

Reaction score

The 24 explorer 246G has an enclosed transom from the factory. The boat was designed for single motor or twin motor use (pre four strokes). The max HP rated for the boat is 300. The only reason I am considering twins is for the redundancy for off shore fishing. If I pursue twins--I would have the transom reinforced and strengthened. Yes, I would also add a flotation type of bracket (armstrong). I like the suzuki 140's due to low weight and bulletproof design. But, I am not married to the idea only exploring the options.

Chrisk.....When repowering your explorer, did you consider 300 HP...? How did you decide on 250 vs 300...? If I decide to stick with a single engine, I would go with 300 HP...
Thanks for the replies....any more words of wisdom....

chrisk

Reaction score

I went with the 250 VMAX because I was able to use the mechanical controls. If I had gone with the 300, I would have had to switch to fly by wire which would have added about $1500 to the cost. The 250 4.2 litre (VMAX) is the same block as the 300. The performance difference wasn't worth the extra money. With the 250 I can run about 45-47 MPH with a full tank of fuel and two people.

Chris

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Enclosed transom... sorry, missed that in your first post. That certainly takes a big "variable" out of the mix. I don't have your exact model, but I think the dimensions are pretty close and I can run (GPS) 45MPH in the right conditions. Having the engine on a bracket (which I do) helps with performance. Hurts backing up at low speeds, though - but trimming the motor up so the prop wash is directed more under the hull helps some. But of course twins will help some with that, too. Although since they are so close together they won't provide the benefits that you would see in a wider beam boat - but still better than a single.

Boy, you go through engines, huh? How many hours on your 225? Although many, many people go large distances off shore with a single, I do understand the notion of wanting redundancy. Aside from costs, what about fuel economy (in regards to going long distances off shore)? I'm assuming you have a good idea of your current setup. Is there any way you can find out how much fuel you'll burn with the twins? I imagine it will be more, but I do not know by how much. Just something else to research!