Verado on Seafarer?

UCPA111

Reaction score
Hello All. Still restoring my 1984 seafarer. I have begun to enclose the transom (making like a 228 vs cutout 226) with coosa and 1708 mat. Using the West System epoxy and it's turning out well. In the meantime, I am continuing to investigate repower options. Originally, I was set on a Yamaha or Honda. But, I don't have local dealers that really handle anything large (250hp). Not that they can't, but they normally don't. So, I started looking at Mercury and the Verado. I've liked what I've seen. I know they're a bit heavier than an F250 Yamaha 4.2L. However, when steering is factored in/etc...it's a 65# difference. I am having a custom flotation bracket made, so I can adjust for the extra 65#.

That all being said, has anyone used a 250HP Verado? Any good or bad experiences? Anyone with one on a seafarer?

They are made in America I think. That's a nice thing. I have more local Mercury dealers and they've installed some 250s.

So, any insight is appreciated as I continue my journey of learning.

Thanks for all your help. Happy New Year!

Last edited:

UCPA111

Reaction score
Thanks. Still looking at opinions and experiences with the Verado.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You might do best to go to a Verado forum and look around for common issues, the same as one would do on a Yamaha/Suzuki/etc forum. Since most Grady's have Yamahas, the experience with other brands is going to be very limited... which is not a good source of info given the small population of data.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. I know a lot of the boats have Yamahas on them. I am searching the outboard forums as well. Just figured I would try here as well. When you go into other forums and mention GW...they say...have you posted on Great Grady? LOL!

I anyone has anything else to add for Verado, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
Shawn

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I know what you mean, Shawn. It's kinda funny how forums work like that, sometimes!

Will you buying new? They Merc should come with a 5-year warranty so that should cover you for a while. Just out of curiosity, what about the other lines of 250HP Mercs?

UCPA111

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I know what you mean, Shawn. It's kinda funny how forums work like that, sometimes!

Will you buying new? They Merc should come with a 5-year warranty so that should cover you for a while. Just out of curiosity, what about the other lines of 250HP Mercs?

Yes. I intend to purchase new. I've been looking at used and remanufactured. And, if I find anything that seems great...I may do that. But, I need to re-rig the boat and prefer to purchase a new motor from a dealer who can install it and set everything up correctly.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I know you mentioned the flotation bracket, but I would still be concerned about weight under way and how it affects the angle of the boat on plane. I would hazard a guess that the Verado is at least 100 lbs heavier than what your boat was engineered for and I believe the weight is even further back with the Verado. I have personally had success using ballast to correct undesirable running angles when all else fails.
Most report the Verado is a very refined engine with excellent performance albeit on high octane fuel.
The Optimax would have similar weight to what your boat was engineered for, but they are not as quiet and refined.

UCPA111

Reaction score
family affair said:
I know you mentioned the flotation bracket, but I would still be concerned about weight under way and how it affects the angle of the boat on plane. I would hazard a guess that the Verado is at least 100 lbs heavier than what your boat was engineered for and I believe the weight is even further back with the Verado. I have personally had success using ballast to correct undesirable running angles when all else fails.
Most report the Verado is a very refined engine with excellent performance albeit on high octane fuel.
The Optimax would have similar weight to what your boat was engineered for, but they are not as quiet and refined.

Thanks for the reply. The seafarer has been made for 34 years+ and has changed a little in those years, but hasn't gotten a whole bunch wider or longer. I would think displacement is displacement. Today, they have a 300hp rating on the seafarer with a full transom and a good amount of seating/etc in the stern. I will have a new full transom made of coosa board but not have the live well or seating in the stern. In addition, I am installing a new fuel tank that will be more mid ship than in the stern (between helm and passenger). And, that will be coupled with a flotation bracket that will be customized. I can have them build it to accommodate a little more displacement for the heavier 4 stroke. From my research, it sounds like all of these things will make it work well and provide a better running attitude.

The previous owner used sandbags in the cabin as ballast. He had a 225 Yamaha on it, a bracket for a trolling motor, and a 4 stroke trolling motor. My new setup will weigh less than his "all in" setup. Coupled with the modifications I am making....I think we'll be good. At minimum, someone here will learn something with my science experiment (LOL!). I've been taking videos of my progress and will surely take videos of the finished product and how it runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9LoXhTst9Y&t=24s
I will try to upload another video to my youtube page with updates. It's coming along.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sounds like you have done a lot of homework. Based on what you describe I think you can take care of any minor issues you might run into.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

UCPA111

Reaction score
Been working to make progress and just got the boat back from the motor installation. What do you think? Can't wait to take it out and sea trial it! Verado 300

Attachments

• 20180608_200916.jpg
    20180608_200916.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 629

Fishtales

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
You might do best to go to a Verado forum and look around for common issues, the same as one would do on a Yamaha/Suzuki/etc forum. Since most Grady's have Yamahas, the experience with other brands is going to be very limited... which is not a good source of info given the small population of data.

Totally agree. I wish Grady still gave a choice of outboard power when you buy, but motor manufacturers force exclusivity for the best prices and eliminate any multi-sourcing for the individual boat manufacturers. All good when things are going well but if that particular manufacturer has issues, then all your customers have them as well. On the plus side it probably gives the boat manufacturer some leverage as they could take their business elsewhere, but it would have to be a really big issue for that.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The picture came out a little distorted but it's obvious that that's a sweet boat. Close-ups of the bracket/engine set-up would be interesting. Your anchor bracket looks interesting also. Looks stout. Very nice job of freshening up an older boat.

Mariner

Reaction score
UCPA111 said:

I have an 88 24' Offshore that had a Johnson 225. In 2007 I replaced it with a Verado 250. It completely transformed the boat. The top end speed increased, mileage doubled at a cruise, and you could hold a conversation without yelling at each other. If you are one that likes to go full throttle everywhere, be prepared that she is a thirsty animal. A good cruising rpm is 4000-4200. The motor weight wasn't really an issue for me. My scuppers were at or below the water line with the Johnson. I replaced both scuppers and all hoses so everything was fresh. If I had to do it over again I would have a Hermco bracket made to increase floatation.

I think you will be pleased if you make the purchase. Installation was simple plug and play style but you need a dealer with a computer to sync the controls. Use a name brand AGM battery for starting. Check out Veradoclub.com for some great info.

Good luck,
Mariner

UCPA111

Reaction score
Halfhitch said:
The picture came out a little distorted but it's obvious that that's a sweet boat. Close-ups of the bracket/engine set-up would be interesting. Your anchor bracket looks interesting also. Looks stout. Very nice job of freshening up an older boat.

Thanks. I will definitely be uploading some video to YouTube. While I am not 100% complete with the restoration of the boat, I think mission critical items will be completed by this weekend. Hope to perform a sea trial!!!

UCPA111

Reaction score
Mariner said:
UCPA111 said:

I have an 88 24' Offshore that had a Johnson 225. In 2007 I replaced it with a Verado 250. It completely transformed the boat. The top end speed increased, mileage doubled at a cruise, and you could hold a conversation without yelling at each other. If you are one that likes to go full throttle everywhere, be prepared that she is a thirsty animal. A good cruising rpm is 4000-4200. The motor weight wasn't really an issue for me. My scuppers were at or below the water line with the Johnson. I replaced both scuppers and all hoses so everything was fresh. If I had to do it over again I would have a Hermco bracket made to increase floatation.

I think you will be pleased if you make the purchase. Installation was simple plug and play style but you need a dealer with a computer to sync the controls. Use a name brand AGM battery for starting. Check out Veradoclub.com for some great info.

Good luck,
Mariner

Thanks! I have a Custom Marine Welding Aluminum floatation bracket that I installed prior to having the motor installed. I designed the bracket for more than normal floatation. As this is a bit of an experiment, I hope to learn something and also share it with others.

I hope to hit a 28-30 mph cruise with a near 3 mpg efficiency. I have a hardtop on the boat and built a pretty beefy transom (3" thick with 1708 biaxial fabric, coosa board, etc.). I'll let you all know!

UCPA111

Reaction score
OK Folks. The science experiment is complete. 300 hp Supercharged Verado on the 1984 seafarer. Sea trial on Lake Erie. Hard top, full fuel, 5 people, gear.....27 mph cruise and 48 mph top end. variable winds...light and less than 1 foot chop.

Thing runs amazingly well. I noticed the motor was a bit buried in the water, and raised the motor 3 holes. I ran it again the next day and it cleaned up nicely. Couldn't do a big test b/c of 2-4 waves the next day. Boat rides dry, lots of power, and if you're cruising and pin it you had better be holding on or you're off the boat. I am very pleased.

I know the manufacturers all make nice motors. I am glad this combination works so well. It's so amazingly quiet....and I know most 4 strokes are...but it's scary quiet and smooth. Digital shift, power steering...it has taken me a year to get this far and I'm a happy camper. Walleye watch out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Qutwrkgofsh

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new setup ! I think we talked before , I have the same boat but a 90 year model . I put a bracket on mine as well with a 250 E-tec gen 1 . I have to say what a great boat , I cruise nicely at the 30mph mark and have had it up to 45 with more throttle to go . she pops up on plane within a second or two . I am super happy with mine . I bet the
verado is even better . Happy boating !

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Congratulations on your repower!
I didn't notice at 1st you were on Erie!
Do you plan to troll with the Verado? If so, how do you get your speed down?

UCPA111

Reaction score
At 550 RPM I am at 1.7-2.2 mph. If it's windy, I tie a couple buckets over the side. But, I haven't done that the last couple times and boated our limit of walleye in 3-4 hrs (24+ fish).

It's super smooth. I need to tweak the propping a bit I think b/c my top end rpm is a little low.

Here's an update with some info on the Vesselview as well. This really helps dial in the troll speed. I highly recommend the DTS binnacle and vesselview combination. So much control....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gURstYtVMWY

Thanks.
Shawn