Fuel Sender and Yamaha Square Command Link Gauge

306Bimini

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2009 306 Bimini with Twin 350hp Yamaha 4 strokes.
I have recently purchased this boat and I have a few questions.
The questions are with the Yamaha Square Command Link "Speed Fuel Gauge" What Fuel sensor type should be picked?? The choices are: ABCY (US), Europe, or Yamaha.
There is 2 LCD bars the represent a Main Tank and the other is for the Auxliary Tank..... Which LCD bar represents the Main and Auxilary tanks? Left LCD and Right LCD bar?

Any ifo would be appreciated.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On my 2007 330 the left is main and the right is Aux. The sensors are standard USA 30-240 Ohm sensors. Mine were WEMA, but Moeller also makes various lengths. I had to replace my main tank sensor last year and I think I bought direct from the tank manufacturer. They are reed switches and come in various lengths based on tank depth. If you have a bad one, pull it, careful not to make sparks, measure it's length and purchase the same length or ask the tank manufacturer (on top of tank) and they can tell you exactly what they used.

seasick

Reaction score
wspitler said:
On my 2007 330 the left is main and the right is Aux. The sensors are standard USA 30-240 Ohm sensors. Mine were WEMA, but Moeller also makes various lengths. I had to replace my main tank sensor last year and I think I bought direct from the tank manufacturer. They are reed switches and come in various lengths based on tank depth. If you have a bad one, pull it, careful not to make sparks, measure it's length and purchase the same length or ask the tank manufacturer (on top of tank) and they can tell you exactly what they used.

Usually, the correct length is the depth from the flange to the bottom of the tank less one inch. The reason I mention this is that sometimes the sender that is already in the tank might be the wrong length.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Bimini,

I'm not sure what kind of sensor you have, but from your description I would choose Yamaha. ABCY is for "American Boat and Yacht Council".

As for which gauge refers to which tank, you can figure that out in the settings. When you're choosing the sensor type for "Tank 1", that refers to the left one. "Tank 2" is for the right one. At least, that's how it is on mine. You can double-check by comparing the tank sizes to what's in the settings. My aux, for instance, is 53 gallons.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
p.s. Be careful messing around with the tank settings. If you go into the tank calibration settings, you may accidentally reset your calibration. That happened to me recently, and now my gauge reads "0" even though the tank is 25% full. If that happens to you while you're initializing things, I can share what I've learned about how to fix it.

seasick

Reaction score
Jonah said:
Hi Bimini,

I'm not sure what kind of sensor you have, but from your description I would choose Yamaha. ABCY is for "American Boat and Yacht Council".

As for which gauge refers to which tank, you can figure that out in the settings. When you're choosing the sensor type for "Tank 1", that refers to the left one. "Tank 2" is for the right one. At least, that's how it is on mine. You can double-check by comparing the tank sizes to what's in the settings. My aux, for instance, is 53 gallons.

Other than a branded oem sender, I don't know what a Yamaha sender is. As mentioned the US standard is 30-240 ohms and the European standard is the reverse, 240-30. So if you have US standard gauges and use a European sender, a full tank will read empty and an empty tank will read full.
Both WEMA and Moeller are good units. Just stay away from the cheaper lever arm types.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think the only way you would have anything other than ABYC is if your boat was built and rigged for the European market. If you didn't ship it in from Europe it should be "All American". The best kind! :D

I, myself am a great fan of WEMA products if you get into replacement. Their website has some good info to checkout.

306Bimini

Reaction score
Thanks for all your inputs.... I did some homework and the Fuel senders are ABYC 33 to 240 ohms, so I set the speed fuel gauge to ABYC. Still having issues though. Did some troubleshooting and found the Auxiliary Tank sender is bad. The boat has the original Royce senders. I called Grady and they said they changed over from the Royce senders to WEMA senders. Apparently Grady had issues with the Royce senders going bad. So I'm replacing both senders in the Main and Auxiliary Tanks. I hope it fixes my Gauge issues
On the Bimini 306 it has fuel tank selector valves. I'm unsure about which direction the valve handles point to pick which tank to draw from. The selector valves have long handles... so do I select the tank using the long part of the handle? The Grady manual is not clear about this.

Attachments

• 0105181646a (1).jpg
    0105181646a (1).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 612

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for sharing the update. Good to know about the senders. I need to go make sure I didn't set mine to Yamaha, since (as you saw) that's what I recommended to you!

I'm pretty sure that you select the tank using the little point on the side opposite the long handle. But if I'm wrong about that too, this will be a good learning experience for me. :wink:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Jonah said:
I'm pretty sure that you select the tank using the little point on the side opposite the long handle. But if I'm wrong about that too, this will be a good learning experience for me. :wink:

You are correct. Short end is your tank choice.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Ask Florida Marine Tank (FMT) about purchasing the sender. Give them the FMT number (FMTXXX) off the tank. They actually come from them with the tank, at least on my Grady they did. They gave me the best price I could find for a replacement sender.

Reel Deal Too

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hello everybody, trying to get some helpful information. After my twin 150s got serviced I was attempting to reset my maintenence prompt on the tach gauges, and resetting the functions on the speed/fuel gauge, now it reads zero bars, when I know it has 3/4 of a tank. Saw a reply earlier in this post that someone knows the fix, I did private message him, just waiting for reply, if anybody else know how to calibrate the gauge please advise. Gauge worked last week prior to me resetting gauges. Thank you.