AC or DC power

Graybeard

Reaction score
The survey turned out well this time and soon I’ll be the owner of a pre owned Marlin 30. I never had a boat this big before with Air conditioner, shore power, fridge, stove, generator......etc. Does all this stuff run on DC power? If you are plugged into Shore power is there an inverter or something to convert the AC to DC?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It will be AC. At least my buddies 31 Luhrs is. There is no converter other than the battery charger.

bea5454

Reaction score
Your generator will run on either diesel or gas. Stove, A/C, Microwave and water heater will be A/C - either shore power or from generator. Fridge is d/c will run off your batteries. You should have an a/c battery charger as well.

Don't have the generator seacock open when moving unless you are running the generator. Good luck with the new boat.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Details!!!!!!!

Depending on the year, your genny may be gas or diesel. You can run all your AC off of it or from shore power but not necessarily everything at the same time. You will need to learn load management. For instance, if you are running the air conditioner and the water heater, turning on the stove and microwave may overload the main. There are only so many amps to go around. And you cannot utilize shore power and the genny together. There is a safety interlock to prevent this. While connected to shore power, you can run the genny (and you should often) but in order to transfer load, you will need to follow a few steps to draw off the genny. Easy to learn and easy to do. Some previous owner may have installed an inverter but the only factory one I’m aware of is for the TV and DVD player if you have one.

Good luck with your new ride. You’re gonna love it!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Graybeard said:
The survey turned out well this time and soon I’ll be the owner of a pre owned Marlin 30. I never had a boat this big before with Air conditioner, shore power, fridge, stove, generator......etc. Does all this stuff run on DC power? If you are plugged into Shore power is there an inverter or something to convert the AC to DC?

AC: Batt charge, A/C, fridge default, stove, outlets. Everything works.
DC: fridge secondary, all lights, radio, 12v accessories.
Gen: Produces AC so everything works.

Line conditioner under port cockpit gunnel.
Charger for DC when on AC.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
bea5454 said:
Don't have the generator seacock open when moving unless you are running the generator. Good luck with the new boat.

Also remember with the generator, "to use it or loose it". Problems tend to arise with generators if they are not used frequently. I try to run mine every time I use the boat.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I hear ya on excercizing the gen set. Had to fuss with the gen set on the neighbor’s 38’ RV to get it started for him

seasick

Reaction score
While it seems logical that running a genset with too much load is a bad thing, it may not be obvious that running a gen set with too little load is not good either.The comment about learning load management is spot on.