removing grab rails

jail

Reaction score
Is there any way to remove the grab rails from the bow of a 2006 tournament 225? There is rust where they contact the hull. I can get it clean with much effort, but it comes back. The fasteners must be rusted behind.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not familiar with your bow setup, but if you can post a few pictures of the area that would help. Doesn't have to be your particular boat - it could be pictures of a 225 from somewhere on the internet - just as long as it's the same setup as yours.

jail

Reaction score
I am trying to post a picture

Attachments

• 6544434_20171128112733017_1_LARGE.jpg
    6544434_20171128112733017_1_LARGE.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 644

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, so this is what I would "expect" has to happen. The backrest needs to come out and then, possibly, access holes would need to be cut - but they'll be hidden by the cushion once it's back on. To get the cushion off, look under the bottom side of the cushion for a few screws. Once those are out, the cushion should slide upwards and off. It's possible there are no securing screws.

However, you might get lucky with the right extensions on a socket and be able to reach the nuts on the grabrail by going through the storage locker under the seat. There may or may not be enough room - but you can check.

Most likely there's rusting because of the lack of air to that small space between the grabrail and the deck. Use a little butyl rubber tape or sealant when reinstalling and that should take care of it in the future.

jail

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I was afraid I would have to drill some holes behind the bolsters. There is not access from the locker below.Has anyone done this?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know if Grady started using Christmas tree fasteners there or not, but you can try looking for that method, too. Whatever way it is, if you're handy you'll be able to figure it out pretty easily with the ideas mentioned.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd contact GW and wouldn't cut any holes unless you are going to glass the area when done. Rust is one thing, holes seem a bit more serious from where I sit.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What's the chances of access holes already being there behind the bolster?

jail

Reaction score
I have been told there are no holes under the bolster. I will check it out in April when the shrink wrap comes off.
If I do drill the holes I was thinking I would then get small removable hatch covers for future access and waterproofing.

jail

Reaction score
Ok, so there is no access behind the bolsters. I cleaned up the rust pretty good. Used FSR.
If it comes back bad, next year I will drill holes for access behind the bolsters and install removable sealed covers.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's a two piece boat that is joined at the liner/hull meeting point at the rub rail. It's a lot of holes to cut but can be done. Beckson Marine makes pop-in or screw-in inspection ports in GW color that seal well if you do. Be careful and look for wires.