Marlin 30 transom transducer location?

Graybeard

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a Freedom 225 in the driveway but my wife made me buy a 2003 Marlin 30 so we can weekend at the marina. I need to get a new GPS/sonar unit, but I have no idea where to mount a transom transducer. With twin engines and trim tab planes the only place looks like between the garboard plug and one of the engine lower units. Any help would be greatly appreciated

plug

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, you can mount it between the engines. Totally OK to do that.

Have you thought about doing a shoot-thru-hull installation? If your hull bottom is solid glass (which I believe it is), then this is basically just a glue-down installation. The best is an actual thru-hull but I suspect you would probably not do that yourself?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe there are transducer flats on the hull bottom (at leas they are there on the later 300 models).
Why not install a shoot thru transducer. The only loss is water temp. I did this with a 1KW ducer and never lose the bottom.

Graybeard

Reaction score
There’s already a Furuno through hull transducer on the boat. There are 2 Furuno units on the boat with radar. But it’s 2003 technology and not user friendly. So I’ll add the Garmin as a separate unit so I can actually see the screen

Fishtales

Reaction score
Maybe a good reason to add a shoot thru ducer. You can mount in many places.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The most commonly used transducer is Airmar. Thre's a possiblity - at least worth checking - that one of the Furuno through hulls (you do mean that it's the style that physically is inserted through a hole in the hull, right?) can either work with the new unit or you can replace it with the new transducer with no modification. If you did have to enlarge the hole for the new transducer (or make the hole smaller), that is all doable, as well. If you're thinking of getting rid of the Furuno units, this would be something to think about.