Cabin rod rack for 258 Journey

tgr23

Reaction score
I'm looking for cabin, rod racks for my 2004 Journey. I've seen threads for owners custom fabricating them but those links are ancient. Any updates on solutions for cabin rod storage? Any venders out there?

Thanks for any advice.
Travis

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a 258 and made a rod rack for it. I'll post some pictures probably tomorrow.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oak base through bolted to bulkhead wall. "T" is dovetailed for strength. Bungees hold rod bases tight.
1224_zpsvasqshav.jpg

Removed OEM rod hanger and replaced with extended version.
01223_zpsdwxnscoo.jpg

Made to hold 5 rods. More or less as needed.
1225_zpscypq7wih.jpg

tgr23

Reaction score
Jim those are amazing!! Thank you so much for the photos. Your carpentry skills are way above mine, but maybe I'll find someone who can make up something similiar. I really appreciate seeing such a creative solution for my 258. Much appreciated!
Travis

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Your welcome Travis. Just to add something... The lower (front) section is constructed much like a hockey stick. The flat "blade" replaces the OEM starboard piece using the same bolts so no need to drill additional holes. The "shaft" of the stick is angled so that it is perpendicular to the bulkhead wall. Hope this helps and you find a solution that works.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
journeyman said:
The "shaft" of the stick is angled so that it is perpendicular to the bulkhead wall.

Sorry folks, I had my P's on backwards that day! Parallel not perpendicular. :-|

tgr23

Reaction score
I used your design as a starting point. I made the rod tip support swing so I can move it out of the way when I'm not hauling rods. It can also be taken down easily since I used a thumb screw to attach it. Still tweaking but on our first outing in choppy seas everything held fast. yahoo.

Thanks again.
Travis

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sounds like you're working it out. :goodjob
The bungee cords I used were the kind you cut to any length needed and the plastic hooks crimp on to the ends. The ends stayed on the base unit hanging there when not in use so as not to get lost.

On my Marlin, I replaced the pieces of Starboard in the mid-berth with longer ones to hang 6 rods instead of 4 and in the starboard V (the short side because of the TV) I installed reel hangers to hold two 53" rods, my kite rod and a rod I cut down and is dedicated to use as a release rod with the Seaqualizer I just bought.

Gotta be inventive sometimes to find new ways for storage!

Always :hmm