Grady White Wahoo (1981)

captlif

Reaction score
I purchased a GW Wahoo 2 years ago and want to repower it this winter. I was wondering if anyone on here is currently running a wahoo, and if so what they have for power. Mine has the standard 255 merc, she came with. Only getting 12-15knts out if it. Just trying to guage whether to go gas or diesel. Thank you so much for a reply!

JeffN

Reaction score
That is the inboard right? What is there room for? I guess if there is room and you put a lot of hours on the boat go diesel. What other engines did Grady put in those as options? I know back in the day they put single 350 I/Os in the sailfish and a 454 as an option. I went from twin 470 Mercruiser I/Os to a single 496 Merc I/O a few years ago and I find it very nice with that power. I would think that our boats a similar in weight etc. What is that setup like in a Wahoo is it a V drive arrangement or is there enough room for conventional inboard set up?

captlif

Reaction score
Grady only made a dozen or so of these boats with a 255 merc. Its a straight shaft, and the motor box is behind the cabin, all deck to the transom. I was trying to find if anyone has done this before. Thanks.

captlif

Reaction score
Jeffn, What kind of performance do you get out of the 496?

JeffN

Reaction score
captlif said:
Jeffn, What kind of performance do you get out of the 496?

I get 26 knot cruise at 3400 RPM and 14 GPH. She tops out at 44 MPH. For just running around to clamming and fishing spots where I don't troll I average around 2 miles per gallon per tank off the GPS milage. My last tank was 1.77 mpg with a few hours of trolling in there. If I do a lot of trolling the numbers go down a bit. When I first got the boat back I found that from 20 knots to 34 knots if I extrapolated the gallons per hour to distance I would travel in an hour at that speed it resulted in close to the same ecconomy numbers (miles per gallon) anywhere in that range. The numbers were from 1.9 MPG to a high of 2.20. With the better milage at the higher speeds. I have not done that exercise again but probably should now that things are broken in. I usually cruise in the 3200 to 3400 RPM range.

I run a Bravo I on this motor, perhaps ecconomy would be better with the Bravo III but was advised that as there is no dealer locally that services I/Os and we run in shallow areas the II would be a better match. I have been VERY pleased with this motor. If you have any other questions let me know I will try to answer them.

Did they put any 454s in those models back in the day? Grady may have some performance numbers still around for that boat. I had called Grady back in the early 90s to find out about what engine options yielded what performance in the Kingfish (in '83 the Kingfish was a Sailfish with I/O power). Anyway that when I was told about the singles with a 350 but the gentelman at Grady said that combination was a "little doggy" in his words and praised the 454 option. I had wanted to repower with twins but the with the current engine line up available for I/Os and finances I ended up with a single. I have gotten over that phobia at this point I am very happy with the big block.

dwtanner

Reaction score
Yeah I am glad to see someone else who owns a 1981 Grady-White Wahoo 256. We are currently upgrading her with a new rail, winshield, and some mechanical work. New coolers, etc.

We have a Mercruiser 454 installed and have hopes of a top speed around 40+, but we will see in about a month or so.

We have a Borg Warner Velvet Drive but I don't know what the gear ratio is.

pjchiaraluce

Reaction score
I am currently looking at buying a 1981 GW Wahoo. I have a few questions for some owners. Have you had any issues with the fuel tanks needing to be replaced? What is the cabin setup, is there any quarter births (aft births) or just a V-birth? do you have any pics of your wahoos? Are you happy overall with the boat? Is there anything that I should be worried about (structural problems, lack of mechanical access, ect.)

duabrown

Reaction score
It looks like the best move if it can be done. What kind of performance you get. I have the same engine, 800 hours, they are great. My yard this fall plans to cut the deck, and I want to tank in the winter. Although the change of plan, pending the investigation tomorrow. Once I was shopping the trailer, but only pulled her to her home off-season.

dwtanner

Reaction score
We havn't run our Wahoo yet. She has a 454 with Velvet Drive and a gear ratio, but I can't tell what the ratio is b/c all the tags are gone. We also have large trim tabs installed which i guess are factory. Anyone have any ideas about performance with this boat. We are still about a month away. We keep finding things that we what to do before we put her in the water.

side.jpg

rear.jpg

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Even rarer than the inboard outboard Gradys! I would call her a true "classic" and a real collector's item. That is a nice looking setup. Probably just needs a little more horsepower if you are in a hurry! Whats up with these Sweatlanah cats? 8)

dwtanner

Reaction score
Have you ever been on one of these boat jumpnjack?

It seems the ride would be completely different provided the weight being low in the boat versus on the back and high like an outboard.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
dw hows it going? Always nice to hear from other "Golden Gradys". No I have never been in a 256 but would sure like a ride in one. I really do like the way she looks! I am figuring that she is pretty well balanced as far as weight distribution goes. Is the engine and transmission mounted forward of the fuel tank? My Sailfish with the I/O tends to be a bit tail heavy when fully loaded. Everyone seems to want to hang out in the stern area. I move some people and stuff to the bow at times. The need more horsepower comment was for the folks with the 255 horsepower model. With that 454 and 300 plus hp your girl should move like a little offshore racer. I bet she will probably hit that 40 mark. Post some pics of the engine/transmission and rear deck area if you would. I am curious about how much deck space the engine cowling occupies. One of my buddies has an inboard diesel powered 23 or 24 foot Privateer. The engine cowling is pretty high and takes up most of the rear deck starting right behind the cabin area. Good Luck with your work in progress! 8)

Ken

dwtanner

Reaction score
jumpnjack

Yeah the motor and trans are positioned in front of the fuel tanks. There is a engine box, but I will have to wait on the pictures we are currently redoing the deck and it looks like a disaster area now. The cold weather won't allow us to fiberglass right now.

I am interested in hearing from someone about how this boat rides. We are still about a month from "lake"trial.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
dw, I do all my test flights, engine and systems flushes on Lake Seminole Fl-Ga. It looks like your boat is registered NC. Are you all in the North Carolina area? Mako made a few of the model 236 which was an inboard powered center console. I have seen but a couple for sale over the years. One of my friends fishes with a guy who has an inboard Mako but I think it was modified from outboard power to the inboard setup. I also remember seeing another inboard Grady for sale several years ago. I remember that this one had a bit of a tricked out 350 but she was pretty beatup. Does your Wahoo have a name yet? Keep us posted and keep after her! Good luck again! 8)

Ken

captlif

Reaction score
Well, I started the refit on my wahoo. She is just about done. Still would love some ideas for power options/perfomance from someone who put a new engine in a wahoo. Here are some pics from the refit.

Attachments

• P4120213.JPG
    P4120213.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 5,808

captlif

Reaction score
[album][/album]

Attachments

• P4120205.JPG
    P4120205.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,619

captlif

Reaction score
Sorry just figuring out how to attach files...here are some more

Attachments

• P4120211.JPG
    P4120211.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,621
  • P4120203.JPG
    P4120203.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,621
  • IMG_2683.JPG
    IMG_2683.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,621

captlif

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,621
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,621
  • before2.jpg
    before2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,621

captlif

Reaction score

Attachments

• profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,618
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,618
  • windas.jpg
    windas.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,619

richie rich

Reaction score
Wahoo Capt! That hull looks great!! Nice work!! Don't know much about her performance, but if it were me and I was repowering an inboard engine, I'd go with a diesel like Yanmar...I like the added safety of diesel vs gas, plus you don't need to ever deal with ethanol problems, and you'll get better miles per gallon...JMHO.......give the engine dealers your boat specs and they can set one up for your desired speed and hull size......keep the resto pics comming...thanks