Finally made the time...

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I promised that before the boat got launched this year, we would have organized tackle storage out of the way and not taking up space in the cabin. Here it is. Wood is Iroko, a MUCH less expensive alternative to teak, finished with 2 coats of oil. The hatches are recessed to just above the rim edge to lower the profile but keep it from pooling water. Five Plano trays fit in each bucket which, as you ca see, is removable for access to the empty spare fuel tank area and the the forward space where some boat systems are located. Much beter than reaching through a 6'' deck plate!

2013-05-20_19-17-24_1_zps227ecc6e.jpg

2013-05-20_19-18-09_647_zps14ff33ff.jpg

2013-05-20_19-18-30_202_zps2eaf1d96.jpg

2013-05-20_19-18-37_793_zpsf8e86740.jpg

2013-05-20_19-19-16_302_zpsb4e02537.jpg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Very nicely done.

Where did you get the hatches and drop-in baskets? Make and model?

This looks like a nice project for our Islander. But we have a 30-gallon water tank at the aft end of that space, so I need to see how much depth there is above it. Or replace it with something smaller...

Brian

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Innovative Product Solutions 13 x 17 Hatch, color Sea Foam with 13 x 17 Drop in tub
Bought them on sale as a set several years ago when I thought about this project, I can't remember from whom.
I think $120 something each. The tubs can hold 5 - 11 x 7 plano tackle trays each or lots of Stuff.
http://www.gotohmg.com/

This deck panel measures 23 X 59 or so and the area underneath is in 2 sections divided by Factory glassed plywood. Foreward half is home to the head tank/macerator and the Fresh water tank/pump. Aft area is the space for the optional fuel tank. This area was open direct to the bilge so I installed a floor made of resin coated plywood with 2 access plates to the bilge and several scuppers for unwanted water (JUST IN CASE).

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
FWIW, overtones has those hatches with the bins for much less. I bought two of them in white(polar white).

At the time I bought these ( 2 years ago ), I looked at other brands. I think Temress makes these. The other "drop in tubs" all tapered down substantially at the bottom. If you were only going to use them for gear and things, this would be ok. I wanted to specifically use these to set in as many tackle trays as I could and the Innovative Brand is almost square sided with the largest bottom area.

They ( the other brands ) may be different now, but I bought based on what my requirements were at the time.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
LOL!!!! You may have solved a mystery around my house!

For a while now, years really, we have been getting Emails and catalogs from Overton's and neither my wife or I could remember buying anything from them. We each have our own computer and have no "trace" Emails from them.

As I said, I bought them as a set and that's how Overtons sells them. I've no proof but I think mystery solved. :goodjob

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Bob,

You could not believe the amount of stuff that can fit down in and under those Hatch/tubs. My cabin looks empty compared to years gone by! Admiral VERY happy! :dance

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would love to do something like this, but alas I have all gas tank under there and not much space for this mod. Then again you have a Journey and I have the 228, this is where 2 more feet comes in handy (lol).....