Cover hole left by stereo Head Unit on 2006 225 Tournament?

bird67

Reaction score
My 2006 225 Tournament came with the Pioneer head unit mounted on the starboard console facing inward, above the locker. The unit doesn't work, and I don't choose to replace it. In instead I bring aboard a Beats Pill and use it via bluetooth. Sounds better than the stock Pioneer speakers and much more convenient.

I would like to remove the head unit. But that would leave an ugly gaping hole. I can:

1. Leave it as is and ignore it.
2. Remove it and have an ugly hole.
3. Cover it with some sort of plate.
4. Replace the head unit with another.

The speakers also present a problem, but I don't find them as offensive so I'd likely leave them alone.

Thoughts? Comments?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Re: Cover hole left by stereo Head Unit on 2006 225 Tourname

The easiest thing to do is leave it in place and go boating.

Personally, I would upgrade the stereo and speakers. But short of that, my next step would be another vote for creating more storage/glovebox.

bird67

Reaction score

InternationalMarineB said:
We could make you a factory style panel that would take care of the issue.

Now I wish I had checked back on the forum earlier...I would have had you make it for me. Instead I went ahead and had a plate made of starboard, with routed and radiused corners. It came out nicely, as seen in the photos. If I were to do it over I'd use 1/4" rather than 1/2" - not sure what I was thinking. I'm posting the photo here for the person who searches for a solution to this admittedly minor problem. Thanks for the in put.

Attachments

• 20160612_124140-001.jpg
    20160612_124140-001.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,477

Jambo

Reaction score
Access to back of main console. 225 Tournament

Hello helpful people. I foresee a time when I will need to access the chamber behind the driver's dashboard on my 2005 Tournament 225. I just finished removing and reinstalling the "box" containing the four fishing lure plastic boxes and nicely caulked it back in. So, given I prefer to not cut the caulk to access the dash that way, is the other, and better way, to remove the plywood panel on the right side of the large starboard storage locker? And if that is the way, should I also unscrew the fuse box attached to the top of that panel (seems mandatory) and let it hang there?
Any advice is welcome. I am just thinking ahead to when I get a new stereo or dash electronics.
Thanks,
Chris

gw204

Reaction score

I would have glassed in the hole...but then again I like to do things the hard way. :)