Autopilot Install- '96 Gulfstream

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi guys, I'm waiting on my Simrad kit to arrive, and in planning the layout have a question. My original plan was to place the hydraulic pump in the well above the bilge and tap into the lines where the union for the steering ram is. The prospect of running a return line to the wheel pump is a bit daunting though, and now I'm considering mounting the pump near the trim tab pump in the cabin cut-out. I saw a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvtgEXa01EU using a similar pump and teeing right off the helm pump. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
D

artodea

Reaction score
I don't have an autopilot but I replaced the helm pump and hydraulic lines on my '96 Gulfstream last year. You should have plenty of room where the trim tab pump is and access from there for the hydraulic lines should be fine. You also might have space in the chase area behind the panel that is right under the engine controls.

I suggest to consider replacing your copper hydraulic lines as part of the project if you still have the original lines. I found the the copper tubing in the bilge area to be somewhat corroded after 20 years. I used the Seastar hoses, which were trivial to run from the bilge to the helm even without a pull string.

Oh, and if your installation requires a heading sensor, I mounted one right on top of the aux tank which works perfectly.

Good luck!

Bokat

Reaction score
I'm guessing you've already installed your A/P but if not or you are not happy with the pump placement I mounted my Raymarine pump under the helm. I bolted it to the left side of the helm structure sidewall so there was a very short run for the hoses. No issues after 13 years in my 1993 Gulfstream.