suicide knob / power knob for steering whel

Low Maintenance

Reaction score
I have a 2007 GW 209 escape (center console). Years ago, I researched getting a suicide knob (power knob) for my stainless steel steering wheel. My dealership (Taylor's Marine - Ocean City, MD) was not able to help, as I recall, and for some reason, I dropped the issue.

I recently tried researching the issue again. Taylor's Marine again told me it's difficult, because of the shape of the steering wheel (not circular) to find an after market knob that will work well. The dealer was only able to tell me that the "sea dog" stainless steel knob, will not work. I think I've seen something written on one of the forums about this (I can't be the only one to complain about this). I think the final suggestion on there was "don't drill", and to sell my current steering wheel and buy a new one with the knob installed. I want to upgrade my boat in the near future (hoping sooner than later) to the 255. I bought the boat new from Taylor's. I'd gladly pay one hundred bucks, for a knob that worked well. But, at this point, I'm not willing to spend $300 plus for a new wheel with the knob. I'm assuming someone out there has found a way to make this work. If you have........please share! Thanks. (and thanks again Jeff, for helping me get my log in information straightened out!) Earl

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi LM, I have one on my 208. Purchased, I believe through a outfit that sells small tractors and ride-em lawnmowers. Not stainless, but I picked a bright red one that works great. I put a little strip of inner tube inside the clamp part (which you cannot see) to keep it from any slippage. If you are stuck on stainless not sure where to go although I am not clear why they do not work as long as the clamp is long enough to go around the wheel. Cheers, trapper

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, some knobs won't work with the oval-shaped steering wheel as their clamp isn't big enough - I tried a few of the less expensive ones. I ended up with an Edson knob (I "think" that's the manufacturer - I won't be at the boat for a few months to check, though). But I can tell you that it is a HIGH quality, all SS knob. I think it has something like a 20 or 30 year warranty.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Ditto max366's Edson knob! Expensive, but works great on my 330. Worth the investment when docking. I have no connections to any suppliers, but Edson stuff seems to be high quality! I was concerned that it would slip and not be firmly attached. Even thought about replacing the helm with one that had a built-in knob. Glad I didn't!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Another vote for Edson. 9 seasons and going strong on my 265. The only problem I have had is when it finds its way to the 6 o'clock position.

Reactions: PointedRose

L.R.

Reaction score
Jut get a new wheel with the knob already on it.I went with a 13'' Ongaro Wheel on My Seafarer.Couldn't be happier.Had a 13'' on My Hydra-Sport for years,only paid a bit over a $100.00 for it.Never had a problem with it..

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
CatTwentyTwo said:
drbatts said:
Another vote for Edson. 9 seasons and going strong on my 265. The only problem I have had is when it finds its way to the 6 o'clock position.

I had the same problem with mine, I replaced the all stainless knob with this one. It's lighter and doesn't drift down to 6 o'clock.

I wish I had that problem! My steering wheel isn't "light enough" for the weight of the knob to rotate the wheel. :?

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used the one from Defender. Replaced bolt with a longer bolt and thick plastic washer...works great.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
3 years later and I'm just reading about this... Trying to find a knob for my 180, I can't believe I have to pay over $100 for one that fits. I tried the ubiquitous $20 from Amazon/Ebay/everyone else, can't make it fit. I thought about drilling the bottom spoke on the wheel but the knob would be too low from the face of the wheel.

In the 3 years since this was posted has anyone found a cheaper solution? Anyone know who makes the wheels for GW?

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
3 years later and I'm just reading about this... Trying to find a knob for my 180, I can't believe I have to pay over $100 for one that fits. I tried the ubiquitous $20 from Amazon/Ebay/everyone else, can't make it fit. I thought about drilling the bottom spoke on the wheel but the knob would be too low from the face of the wheel.

In the 3 years since this was posted has anyone found a cheaper solution? Anyone know who makes the wheels for GW?
I put one of these on 228 and it works great, found it on Amazon

AISI 316 Stainless Steel Boat Steering Wheel Knob, Steering Wheel Maneuvering Knob​

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
No link there but if it's the one I think you must have a different wheel, it doesn't fit on the 1.2"x 0.82 wheel myself and others have.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 5.29.53 PM.jpg

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Yep, that's the one form China that's everywhere and from $15 on eBay to $40 at the stores.
I got one and tried it, wouldn't fit. They state it's for wheels with a cross section from 5/8"-1" by 5/8"-3/4" (.625-1.0" x .625 x .75"). I have the grooved wheel a lot of people have, it measures .82 x 1.20. I thought I could squeak by but it didn't happen.
I jury rigged the ball for now though... not elegant but functional until I go for a new wheel.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yep, that's the one form China that's everywhere and from $15 on eBay to $40 at the stores.
I got one and tried it, wouldn't fit. They state it's for wheels with a cross section from 5/8"-1" by 5/8"-3/4" (.625-1.0" x .625 x .75"). I have the grooved wheel a lot of people have, it measures .82 x 1.20. I thought I could squeak by but it didn't happen.
I jury rigged the ball for now though... not elegant but functional until I go for a new wheel.
yep...that did not work on a 265 Express destroyer wheel either.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have used the same Edson knob on my Grady's for the last 25 years, and as far as I'm concerned, they ware worth the price. BTW, they have a 316 stainless steel band that works with pretty much any ross-section shape wheel.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What’s the rationale for getting one of these knobs? Does it get in the way if you are standing in front of your seat?