265 Express - Running cable from helm to cabin

oviv

Reaction score
I replaced the old stereo in my 265 Express with a Fusion unit. I need to run a NMEA 2000 cable from my Raymarine MFDs to the stereo to allow for control of the stereo from the helm. Any suggestions on best way to run this cable. I do not see any rigging tubes in the manual for this route. Has anyone done this that can offer advice?

Ovi

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Where exactly are you looking to run the cable from? A little more information and or pictures where everything is located would be helpful. You are right I don't think there are rigging tubes for this, but there should be plenty of room to run the wire. Unscrewing and lifting up the dash panels, and removing the cabin drawers will give you good access.

seasick

Reaction score
drbatts said:
Where exactly are you looking to run the cable from? A little more information and or pictures where everything is located would be helpful. You are right I don't think there are rigging tubes for this, but there should be plenty of room to run the wire. Unscrewing and lifting up the dash panels, and removing the cabin drawers will give you good access.

If the radio is on the port side and the helm on the starboard, he needs to run the data cable across the cabin. It may be difficult to get a run under the cabin deck. The cable may need to be run in the overhead under the liner ( not a simple job usually.
One possible option if you dont want to run under the liner AND you have a port rigging tube might be to run the cable aft through the starboard rigging tube, across the stern in the bilge area and then forward to the cabin. That sound like a really indirect way to get from point A to point B but it might be easier to do. If there is no port rigging tube, you can still run aft on the starboard side, across the transom and then route under the gunnel.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
When I replaced my stereo a couple years back I relocated it entirely and co-located it with an amp where the net pocket was on the backside of the console inside the cabin. If you're still running from the original location on the port side then as mentioned, there are no direct rigging tubes to run from that location to the helm. But you should be able to run the new cable straight aft a few feet then drop it down under the helm deck to bring it across and up into the console. As drbatts said, remove the drawer insert in the cabin and if necessary those just forward of the port seat and you'll have pretty decent access to route the new cable. I ran new speaker wires through there and don't recall there being much structure to tie off against so the wiring (marine grade shielded stuff) just runs across the hull surface but no problems to date with the install.

oviv

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. The below crude diagram shows more details on the two locations I wish to connect and my understanding of your suggestions. One of the challenges I have is that NMEA 2000 is limited to a max of 6 meters so I can not have a wire run longer than that.

If I understand correctly, what some of you are suggesting is that I follow the path in green in my diagram underneath the deck. Also, if I understood you, by removing the drawer inserts it should help with running the cable. I imagine I would also need to remove the deck plates over the water tack and head holding tank.

Correct? Any other suggestions? Should I get a pro to do this? I am a software guy so I am comfortable with reprogramming every piece of electronics I have but wiring is not my forte and I am concerned about making a mess.

Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1xov4a8Pa-hcmhnZlRTVVlwVzA

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
The diagram didn't post (or didn't come through on my end) but if the NMEA distance is 6 meters you should have no problem reaching from the MFDs from the stereo, whether they're in the overhead or at the helm console.

I don't think you'll need to pull the deck panels, removing the drawer enclosures should be enough so try that first. Once you get some visibility into those spaces you'll see where things come from and where they go and it won't be nearly as daunting as it looks now.

If you don't have a wiring 'fish pole' you may want to consider getting one, mine came in roughly one foot sections that screw together and worked well for the tight spaces on the boat, could feed it into an opening and just keep adding sections to get the length needed.

Good luck.

Brett

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The green path in the diagram is what I would do. If you have a 110v outlet at the helm just follow the path of that wire back to the board, which should be close enough to where the radio is going to be.

Fowl Hooked said:
I don't think you'll need to pull the deck panels, removing the drawer enclosures should be enough so try that first. Once you get some visibility into those spaces you'll see where things come from and where they go and it won't be nearly as daunting as it looks now.

If you don't have a wiring 'fish pole' you may want to consider getting one, mine came in roughly one foot sections that screw together and worked well for the tight spaces on the boat, could feed it into an opening and just keep adding sections to get the length needed.

The fish pole was one of my best investments. It makes life so much easier.

Reaction score
I just did exactly that up to the top and center of the hardtop. Take out the 2 drawer cabinet on the left in the helm station, take out the other cabinet in the cabin. Now you can fish wire 18" or so from radio area towards the rear and grab it through the cabinet opening on deck. Make a left turn at the water tank and bring it across towards starboard(either go above or below where the cabinet shell goes in) Now use a fish pole of some sort and after removing instrument cover fish a string or the actual wire down below and it should be visible from the cabin hole where the cabinet was, look mleft with flash light. Pull the wire up and wala! Whole job should take less than an hour

Don't be an idiot like me and do it twice!!! I fished the wrong end for the remote all the way up to the new hole between the upper electronics boxes and had to start over and redo! Check to make sure you have the male/female ends of the remote wire correct first if yours is like this.

Fish poles are the greatest investment for a 265, Ive been in every hatch, hole, and rigging tube. I also fished through fluorescent orange weed wacker line and tied it off at each end for easier pull through later or for the next guy, usefull from port to starboard in the back end where the battery cables, charger wires and stuff run, that one is a bear.