Scupper hoses for Journey

tgr23

Reaction score
I've read many of the threads on replacing these hoses on other models but not the Journey. Mine are not leaking but they are looking their age. Cracking and rusty. I can see the port side when I take out the battery switch box. How do you get to the starboard ones? I read about guys cutting holes by the access door but that seems extreme. Any tips on this job are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

tgr23

Reaction score
Just in case someone is looking for info on doing this on a Journey. Firstly, it's a total PIA! But it is possible, give yourself 7 hours.
-tools: Must have a power ratchet/screwdriver or something to turn the hose clamps with the press of a button. Some of the spots are super tight.
-Heat gun. Total helps to make the old hose flexible and get off the nipples.
-Sawzall. I only used it onetime but it was essential. I used it to cut the outboard hose on the starboard side in half.
-1/4 drive sockets for hose clamps. Swivel fittings and extensions. Clamps are all 5/16.
-I used ivory soap on the insides of the hoses and nipples when I was installing, I don't like spraying chemicals on those hoses.
-Small prybar.

Tips:
-yes you have to cut out an access plate to access the port side hoses. Make it a 6" in hole. Cut it out and then do the hose work. Put the access plate in after the job is done. You'll need every square inch you can get to do the job.
-On the port side: I jammed the battery switch box, back in the hold so I could better access the clamps on the hoses under the deck.
-Starboad side fittings under the deck. The outboard one is the hardest of the lot. You have to have long arms and cram yourself into the battery compartment and then you can just get to the clamps. You can't see them but it's possible. Painful, but possible. I stared at it for 30 minutes before I just went for it.

I used the same hose type as was original to the boat. Mine were in terrible condition. 12 years old.

Good luck. Have some band aides handy and a cold beer to finish off the project.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the tips and rundown on your project. I'll be replacing all my thru hulls to the new SS ones. Current ones are chrome over bronze that are showing their age. It's all about the presentation. 8)