How to install new transducer cable in 225 turnament

RayLeoni

Reaction score
I am about to replace the original Furuno 1650 plotter/sonar with a Garmin 94SV in my 2004 Turnament 225 and wonder how to install the transom mounted transducer cable. Should the old cable be pulled out towards the stern with a string tied to the forward end and then use the string to pull the new cable forward? It that the right or best way? I am an 88 year old boater who really would appreciate any advice offered. Thank you,
Ray

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I use a length of rubber coated twine....tie it securely to the end of the transducer cable...start the feed into the rigging tube...and pull gently from the other end. It's easier if there are two of you but not impossible if only one of you is doing it.

I also have a plumbers snake...and find that it works well too for the job.

Good luck.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Often times, you can simply use the old cable to pull the new one. Typically, the connection of the wire to the new transducer is fixed (doesn't come apart). Which means you have to pull the new cable forward. Butt the two ends of cables up to each other end to end (cut the old cable connector off), and tape them up that way. Wrap the tape a good 3' or 4" down each wire for good adhesion. Don't make the tape too thick anywhere.

If your new one already has the connector attached, you can still do the same thing. But do your taping in such a way so that there are no parts of the "tape connection" that can get snagged. In other words, use the tape to make smooth transitions.

The one caveat to all this is whether or not the existing cable is secured along the way, anywhere. If you can't get to those cable clamps/zip ties, then you'll need to use a fish tape.

If you pull a thin, nylon string (1/8"-ish) along with the new cable that is three times longer than the fish run... You then leave a 1/3 at each end of the run and you'll have something for future use.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Small nylon rope tied to old cable worked for me. I just removed all my old transducers and have the rope inplace to pull my new Totalscan transducer cable back through. Will tie another rope to new cable and leave in rigging tube to be used at a later date if need be.