Washdwon pump service - 330 express

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
I believe my washdown pump may have got left on for about a half hour one day. It does not appear to be working any more. The cockpit switch lights up, but no pressure. I have found the location on the manual, but not sure how to access it. Do i remove the cooler under the port side seat?
Just windering where to start?
Thanks
Mike

JJ2468

Reaction score
Mid berth on port side should have a small access panel about 18" xx 12". Remove 4 screws and pump should be right in front Also the trim tab reservoir and fresh water pump in same area.

Have replaced raw water pump twice in 4 years. I use it a lot since fish quite a bit Good luck

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Should be a pretty easy job, except for working in the small hatch. You can buy a new pump on-line (amazon, Defender, etc.) or at a West Marine.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Check the circuit breaker on the dash. Those pumps are pressure regulated and don't run unless the nozzle is opened or there is a leak. Not likely that it would burn out in 30 minutes if it wasn't pumping water, unless the seacock was closed. Another thing to check by the way. There is also a filter at the pump that you can check.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
The breaker seems ok. I found the access panel last night and took some pictures. I will check the voltages at the pump next time I go down.
These forums are so helpful!!

Attachments

• 2017-07-12 17.55.20.jpg
    2017-07-12 17.55.20.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,245

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Note the accumulator (rt) and the filter (lft). Those pumps can lose prime and won't pressurize and shut off with air in the system, running continuously. Normally you can run them with the nozzle open until the pump self primes, then close the nozzle and if the pressure switch is working it will shut the pump off and the accumulator should keep that pressure.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
That black "canister" next to the pump is the accumulator tank, correct?

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
I was presuming the upper pump was the freshwater, and the lower pump was the wash down. I have not made it back down yet to check the voltage at the pump. I plan to do that Friday.
Mike

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Switched the power feed between the Freshwater and wash down pump. Verified pump was bad. Easy replacement!

(Much easier than the rear bilge pump and automatic switch!!)

Fishtales

Reaction score
those pumps seem to only last about 5 years or so if you use them a lot. easy change out....