DSM250 Sounder Gain Settings

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I am sure this has been discussed before, but could not find anything in a search here or on THT. I have a Raymarine C80 and DSM250 on my 27' Grady with a B744V transducer. I maintain bottom lock while underway which I was happy about.

Reading the manual it stats auto gain maximizes the units potential. It seems like I always have a blank screen with the auto gain and it never moves from medium. I tried playing with the manual gain settings but I am not sure what I am doing really. I know I am not a great fisherman, but I would imagine I would at least be seeing more than I am!

I should have taken some pictures of the screen, I will be back out not he water Wednesday night and Thursday and would love some input to try and fine tune.

I know the C80 and DSM250 is older technology, but for my use I think it will serve me well if I can better dial in the settings.

Thanks

Andrew

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
While I'm not familiar with the RM stuff, on Lowrance and Garmin I usually crank up the gain until I see specks in the water column, then back off til I get the grains as small as possible but still visible, hope this helps.

Fishtales

Reaction score
this may not apply but thought i'd share. http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-elec ... ne-12.html
do some research on the hull truth or other marine websites on the dsm 250. maybe there is a like issue - maybe not.
i can say that i had like issues with the dsm300 and it was made in mexico. raymarine swapped out the unit with a Hungarian unit and I have not had any issues since.