Attaching Starboard

chrisk

Reaction score
Planning to mount a piece of starboard on the back of my transom to mount two transducers. Removing one old one and don't want to "swiss cheese" the transom so my plan is to mount a 6" x 18" piece and mount the transducers into that. My question is what is the best way to attach the starboard to the transom? There are a couple of companies that make kits to do this (Stern Saver is one) but its a small piece of material and I would need two of them at $50 each. These kits utilize an epoxy to mount/attach. What would be a good/similar method to attach a regular piece of starboard?

Thanks,

Chris

Scott D

Reaction score
I successfully bonded 4"X1" thick starboard discs to fiberglass to install underwater lights to my hull. I used the Lord 7542 AB and followed the directions including sanding and flame treating the starboard and sanding the gelcoat. I used very heavy duty gorilla tape to hold the discs to the hull firmly for over 24 hours while the adhesive dried.

Of course you can screw the starboard to the transom but to me that defeats the purpose of what you are trying to do.

Take your time and follow the directions and I think you'll be ok. Worked for me.

Directions:
http://www.kingplastic.com/using-adhesi ... arboard-2/