Transom Flotation??

fellinger

Reaction score
Just starting to consider repowering my 1995 272 Sailfish which currently has twin 200hp Johnson's. I think it is likely that replacing them with 4 strokes is out of the question due to the weight but, was thinking of GEN 2 E-Tec's if possible. Even the GEN 2 are about 150# heavier than the Johnsons and would likely put the scuppers below the waterline. I have thought about moving my batteries and charge forward to behind the wall in the under helm bunk which should get me about 180# off of the stern.

My question... Is there any way of getting additional lift/flotation in the stern?

Thanks!

fellinger

Reaction score
Finest Kind said:
http://www.hermco.net/

Thanks. The Sailfish essentially has a bracket already. Can it be replaced?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I too am very intrigued by the new G2's.

With my 25 and 200 HPDI's, the weight gain with the G2's is minimal difference.

I estimated the weight gain to be approx. 60#'s each motor. However, these include the power steering system weight and also, not sure if the weight of the G2's include the oil under the cowl. If so, that is 3 gallons of oil weight each to consider subtracting which I think is about 24#'s or so. Not sure what the seastar steering weighs, but figure it is only about 5 or 6 #'s.

I left my 2 starting batteries in the back but moved my 2 house batteries under the helm area to get more lift in the back. Even when I had all the batteries in the back, I really had no issues with scuppers. Just wanted to get the front down more so could do better in rougher seas. This did indeed help.

Now, with the 2 batteries in the back, and are group 31's, my scuppers are just under the water by maybe an inch, and still no issues with that. No water has ever come up into the cockpit even when 2 fat guys are in the back corner gaffing a big one.... :mrgreen:

I think the hull can handle this weight in the back. Also, you can add more weight to the very front like I did to help offset if the rear gets too low.

fellinger

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
I too am very intrigued by the new G2's.

With my 25 and 200 HPDI's, the weight gain with the G2's is minimal difference.

I estimated the weight gain to be approx. 60#'s each motor. However, these include the power steering system weight and also, not sure if the weight of the G2's include the oil under the cowl. If so, that is 3 gallons of oil weight each to consider subtracting which I think is about 24#'s or so. Not sure what the seastar steering weighs, but figure it is only about 5 or 6 #'s.

I left my 2 starting batteries in the back but moved my 2 house batteries under the helm area to get more lift in the back. Even when I had all the batteries in the back, I really had no issues with scuppers. Just wanted to get the front down more so could do better in rougher seas. This did indeed help.

Now, with the 2 batteries in the back, and are group 31's, my scuppers are just under the water by maybe an inch, and still no issues with that. No water has ever come up into the cockpit even when 2 fat guys are in the back corner gaffing a big one.... :mrgreen:

I think the hull can handle this weight in the back. Also, you can add more weight to the very front like I did to help offset if the rear gets too low.

I am not sure of the actual weight changes. I have been told by the Etec dealer the GEN 2's are about 159# heavier. I am sure he is including everything. It might just be time to find some fatties (me included) and stand on the transom lol.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yeah, easy enough to put some folks on the transom and see what happens.

I figured I removed about 160#'s from transom with the 4 battery setup I did after I got my boat. The two I moved are very heavy batteries.

I looked up the weights of the motors a while back, here is what I found on the websites:

Yamaha 200 HPDI's 2.6L: 475#'s.
G2 Etec 200 3.4L: 537#'s.
G2 Etec 200 2.7L: 530-541#'s. (assume this is due to which length lower unit)

Not sure what the Johnson's weigh in at.

So adding up weight difference here 541-475 is 66#'s more on the Etec. However, again, this includes the power steering. Subtract the 5 or 6#'s for Seastar and it gets you about 60#'s more X 2 motors for 120#'s. Not sure what weight the Etec dealer is using, maybe including the oil weight (wet weight).

If so, then in my case, I have 2 3 gallon tanks in the transom which would be same difference there.

Even at 150#'s, that is less than one of my fishing guys sleeping in the back beanbag!

I did one time, have 6 guys in the cockpit and still no issues with scuppers....

I do like the Hermco bracket, however, that is a lot more expense and work and might not be really necessary on these model boats if you can get by without it. I do believe that if you added the 4 strokes on back, definitely would have to have the Hermco for lift in the back.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's really no way to increase flotation without adding surface area (larger bracket). Stuffing foam INSIDE something does nothing to increase flotation. In fact, in theory, it decreases it since it makes it heavier. I think your ideas of shifting weight around will the best course of action - after you find out if it's necessary, of course.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
fellinger said:
Finest Kind said:
http://www.hermco.net/

Thanks. The Sailfish essentially has a bracket already. Can it be replaced?

Yep. Off with the old, on with the new and see the difference!
Better ride, quicker up to plane, better fuel efficiency and higher scuppers.
Don't forget when you recycle the old bracket at your local scrap yard you will get back a bit of money too.
(How much does the old bracket weigh? Maybe 100 lbs? That's at least 20 bucks in Aluminum scrap value)

Finest Kind

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
I looked up the weights of the motors a while back, here is what I found on the websites:

Yamaha 200 HPDI's 2.6L: 475#'s.
G2 Etec 200 3.4L: 537#'s.
G2 Etec 200 2.7L: 530-541#'s. (assume this is due to which length lower unit)

And the Etec G2 200 2.7L TRAC models without the power steering (which is what I have) weigh 30 lbs less per motor (under 500 lbs), AND utilize the tried-and-true Evinrude mid-section with your existing Sea-Star steering. These models are otherwise exactly the same as the other G2's inculding the new beefed-up lower units and the state-of-the-art powerheads.