An interesting problem to think about....

ric2352

Reaction score
95 208, recently Repowered with an F200. When running along, when you grab the wheel ( stainless stock Grady) and your hands are wet and you have a cut somewhere on that hand, you get an electrical zap...a good one, not just a tingle. Dry hands, cut or no cut, no problem . No electrical whatsoever going to the hydraulic steering. I've pulled the inside panel and the one under the helm to inspect the harness which they zip tied to the copper hyralic lines for stability thinking a hot wire might have worn thru touching the tubing....all fine. Can't fine any issues where they come out in the battery compartment and connect to the rubber hoses out to the ram. Did Grady run the hydraulic lines in the same rigging tube as the main harness? I can't tell in the back.....come out under the floor. All electrical components and electoral ad dons work fine.

seasick

Reaction score
ric2352 said:
95 208, recently Repowered with an F200. When running along, when you grab the wheel ( stainless stock Grady) and your hands are wet and you have a cut somewhere on that hand, you get an electrical zap...a good one, not just a tingle. Dry hands, cut or no cut, no problem . No electrical whatsoever going to the hydraulic steering. I've pulled the inside panel and the one under the helm to inspect the harness which they zip tied to the copper hyralic lines for stability thinking a hot wire might have worn thru touching the tubing....all fine. Can't fine any issues where they come out in the battery compartment and connect to the rubber hoses out to the ram. Did Grady run the hydraulic lines in the same rigging tube as the main harness? I can't tell in the back.....come out under the floor. All electrical components and electoral ad dons work fine.
I cant say for sure on that model year but on mine there is only one rigging tube.
Assuming you are really getting shocked, you should measure the voltage between the steering wheel and a good ground (motor running is that is when you get zapped). I would assume that there will be voltage present even when your are dry, you just aren't a good enough conductor to feel it.
If you measure voltage then turn off the motor and measure. You may need to isolate a bunch of equipment to locate the source but I would suspect some wire has worn through the insulation and is getting to the wheel. That could be at the helm, under the deck, in the bilge or at the motor.

You also need to determine if you get shocked when just touching the wheel or if you have to be also touching something else like the windscreen frame etc.
Let us know what you find out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
sounds like a ground loop issue, pinched wire or something else. Is it hydraulic or manual steering? If the latter, could a cable strand cut into the 12v insulation? Get it checked, with fuel in that bundle you don't need that getting into the mix......