stainless angle

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I ma considering removing my outboard and replacing the aluminium angle atop the transom with stainless. Would there be a be a reaction, (dissimilar metals) with the outboard mounting bracket. I do not know if Grady has upgraded that part but it certainly does get corroded badly in the salt water we play in. Thanks for any wisdom on the matter. Cheers, trapper :hmm

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do not have an answer, but mine is in bad shape also. Perhaps we should ask Grady service for advise.......just thinking out loud.......

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can't be any worse than the al that is on their now. It corrodes, stainless should be better. I think some of the newer boats have a composite piece now if my memory serves me right. Call GW and see if they are willing to provide a piece or maybe tell you where you can get it.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Yes Grady makes a vinyl "bang plate" (transom cap) at US $3.00 per foot. Will check it out. Cheers, trapper

Reactions: PDX-Boats

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think the worry would be that the OB bracket might start corroding now, since SS is more noble than Al on the galvanic scale. If you isolate them with something like rubber, that should work, though. You can also buy angle, pre-made in fiberglass and PVC - although I have never had a need to look for that particular size. Try Mcamaster-Carr. But if Grady already has it - $3/foot sounds like an easy answer to the question.

Reactions: dbiscayne

Fishtales

Reaction score
trapper said:
Thanks guys, Yes Grady makes a vinyl "bang plate" (transom cap) at US $3.00 per foot. Will check it out. Cheers, trapper

For that cost, seems like a no brainer.... Let us know how flexible it is. Could you get it under the outboards or do you have to remove them?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes will have to take off the Yam as the angle covers the corner (top and face) of the transom and is trapped by the engine mounting bracket. Will look into ordering it from the dealer Jacobson Marine in Washington state as the local Grady dealer has never appeared interested in requests unless you are buying one of their Gradys. Anyway have to deal with shipping brokerage fees etc, but it will get the job done. Have been procrastinating on this one for some time. Not purchasing the lifting eye ( the newer outboard do not have them built in) at over $200 for a one time lift. Have made one up for $30.Will report on completion with pics if I can get them on to the site. Cheers trapper

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Glass it, paint it, never worry about corrosion or water intrusion again.
They should glass them at the factory but it would cost them time.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
How did this turn out for you? I just used epoxy to repair mine, and bought 1/16" 316 SS Angle to replace the corroded aluminum. How did yours hold up for the past 3 years?

Reactions: PDX-Boats

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
On mine we made a simple angle mold out of melamine board and layed up a few 6 inch strips of bi axial fiberglass with west system epoxy. Popped it out , shaped it, and painted it. Came out really nice. And it was cheap and permanent. Wont corrode. Not the best photo to see it from but I butted it up against the molded corner pieces that came with the boat. Grady used a cheap plastic on mine that was Warped and looked horrible. 2E6CFEBB-37AF-4305-95B6-FD8C116F9400.jpeg

Reactions: Sdfish

seasick

Reaction score
I have to agree with Dennis that the corrosion may well be electrolysis. Changing to stainless may result in the consumption of other metals. My feeling is that if the aluminum top plate has lasted a decade or two, then it held up pretty well. You probably replace your aluminum anodes every year or two so the plate has served you well. I also am not sure if glassing the top of the transom works as well as some hope. I have concerns that an epoxied surfaces may be more prone to micro cracks due to normal transom flexing( small but maybe a factor) I guess time will tell.
The other downside to stainless is that if moisture gets trapped under it, under the edge, or between the cap and the motor bracket, it will probably bleed rust eventually

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As mentioned in my photo essay of my transom cap replacement a couple of years ago,. I went with a fairly heaving ss angle and separated it from other metals ( aluminium Motor mount) with starboard and sikaflex. I wondered at the time if the heavy angle would help in any future transom flex. Possibly will never know.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Man, every time I read one of these transom posts I get stressed out! I did mine in stainless and LOVE the look!

Attachments

• IMG_3672.JPG
    IMG_3672.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: Dhirsh

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sdfish, wish I could have found the polished ss, certainly do like the look of yours...very cool!

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I glassed my transom and put a and glue Of SS it looks awsome and still brand new after 2 seasons.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Can smear a product called tefgel between dissimilar metals to prevent galvanic corrosion (ie stainless rivet into aluminum mast on a sailboat). Also can get dielectric tape to put in between. Can’t say if either would hold up longer term. Agree with others that glassing over the top would probably be best.