Sidescan Xducer mounting

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Anybody have a sidescan sonar with a transom mounted transducer? Does outboard(s) motor interfere with sidescan?

I'm looking to put a secondary sonar on my Grady 265. Looking at Garmin 94sv. Going with Garmin because boat already has a 4208 (with a garmin24 Sonar unit and Airmar trhu Hull xducer) and I don't want to learn 2 different menus.

There are deals with included transom mount transducer $899. To use a Thru Hull I would have to purchase separately @ $850 unit+ $700 thru hull transducer(that is prohibitive!).

With the cost difference it seems I should just try the transom mount.
With twin outboards and trim tabs there is not much space for mounting.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a Garmin 5208 on my 210xsf Scout and I am adding the 94sv Chirp. Got a deal from The GPS Store for $699 with the GT51-TM transducer. It was apparently only for cyber Monday, but I jumped on it. I have friends that have the transom mounted transducer and say that on a single engine you do get a weaker picture on the port side with it mounted to starboard, but it still works well on both sides. I am planning to use the SternMate system to mount it which provides a lot of adjustment room. On twin engines they say to mount between the two. There is a lot of good info on the net and the Sternmate website has a lot of good info even if you don't buy their product. I haven't received the sternmate mounting yet, but it is on the way. I'll have both units on an NMEA 2000 network that is already installed on the boat and I plan to use the whole 94sv screen for sonar and the 5208 for navigation, etc. Good luck!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yes I missed out on the cyberMonday deals. However, now I am seeing that there is a new version 94svPLUS just released that has "touch screen with keyed assist". It is going for $1049 w/xducer. I guess the deals are to close out inventory of the older model. Now I have an added dilemma of whether to get the older version which has nearly identical keys and menus as my 4208 or get the latest/greatest with touch screen. Maybe if I hold out till spring I can catch a deal on the new one? Either way I can't justify $1500 to match it with a thruHull.

As for mounting, I get conflicting opinions about mounting between motors. Some say you don't want it there because the props are both pushing water up in the middle and you should mount where the prop moves down.
And my 265 Express is not a trailer boat so experimenting is not feasible. Also, There is an existing Airmar thruhull protruding on the centerline about 2 feet from the transom that may interfere. I'm just going to have to mount starboard side between trim tab & motor and accept what I get. I'm thinking that at least the starboard side will have a completely clear path for the sidescan.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
As for the touch screen, I have both (5208 and 5212s) and actually prefer the keys. I think the "Plus" has a few other additions, maybe WiFi? With the Sternmate system adjustments are relatively easy. Check out the Sternmate website for mounting discussions. I'll be mounting mine next week if the holidays permit. Let me know how your works. Good Luck!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Update to this...

I ended up with a Garmin 94sv with transom mount sidescan transducer.
Mounted it on a large Sternmate block between the motors. works really well there when trolling or especially when looking for wrecks. Not so good running on plane but I have an AIRMAR thru-hull for that.
I put the display in the hardtop.

2nzwDnDl.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Is there water scoop or other fitting that generates turbulence under the hull in line with the ducer? If so, that could cause issues at speed.
Also check the instructions for depth and suggested angle. Although I have a traditional ducer, I find that one click change in it's angle relative to the hull makes all the difference between working at speed or not. It helps to play with the angle and see if things improve. When you get it where it works best, make a note or a drawing so that you can adjust it if necessary in the future

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Is there water scoop or other fitting that generates turbulence under the hull in line with the ducer? If so, that could cause issues at speed.
Also check the instructions for depth and suggested angle. Although I have a traditional ducer, I find that one click change in it's angle relative to the hull makes all the difference between working at speed or not. It helps to play with the angle and see if things improve. When you get it where it works best, make a note or a drawing so that you can adjust it if necessary in the future

yes, like I said, there are thru hulls in front of it. I knew it would be a problem but there is no other viable place to put it.
I'm sure it could be adjusted better but I will have to do it in water. Next year maybe anchor on a sand bar and get the goggles out. Never got around to it this season.