Islander 268 Port Stern Well Insert

kbartler

Reaction score
Hi:

New to the forum. I have a 2000 268 Islander and was wondering if there is anything I can do to replace the plastic bucket insert in the Port Stern well. Its not a live well bucket, its just a plastic bucket. I am installing new pumps, and fuel filters/water separators in that area under the well bucket. The factory well bucket is too deep an gets to way of where I want to install the pumps.

Is there a way to order a new (less deep) well bucket insert or some sort of 2"-12" deep plastic tray to replace the bucket that is in there?

Or do I have to come up with some modification?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4136[1322].PNG
    IMG_4136[1322].PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 952

kbartler

Reaction score
The picture in my fiest post shows the location. I am not at the boat for a week so I cant take a picture of the bucket

seasick

Reaction score
kbartler said:
The picture in my fiest post shows the location. I am not at the boat for a week so I cant take a picture of the bucket

You probably will need a custom bucket. It may be possible to cut out a section of the sides of the existing bucket and re-glass the bottom to the shortened section. How easy this will be depends on the slope of the bucket sides. The less taper, the easier it will be to reconnect the two pieces. In any case, a decent fiberglass shop should be able to make the modification. I would guess that approach will be less expensive than have a completely new insert made.
Happy Holidays

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I had pretty much all the same thoughts as you, Seasick (cut section out, fiberglass, taper issues, etc). The only thing I'd add to that is that a mechanical fastening of the two pieces will likely be helpful since most plastic trash cans are pretty slick. Or, at least, roughing up the two pieces really well would help. Either way, not too hard to do.

I'm going to differ on one thing... I think it's probably the boat's "hole" that was built around a commonly available trash can size. I think that would be more cost effective for a company. But, that's just a guess!

Take some measurements and then try googling for a new can - maybe even a place like US Plastics.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would start by modifying the trash bucket you have. You'll probably end up cutting out a section of it and basically decreasing the depth. You probably will need to play with the piece you cut out and figure out how to bond it together. Another play is to have something custom fabricated out of plastic or maybe a mesh bag?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had this model while back.
Two options.
1. Cut out a 3 inch section about 3 inches from the bottom and use this piece to “scab” over the new splice on the inside using stainless fasteners and some epoxy. I don’t think just epoxy will hold as it is an HDPE type of material which doesn’t glue well. Bevel/chamfer the edges of the scab.
2. Use the bucket as a mold for a fiberglass layup which will of course be a bit smaller but the lip should still work. Have to fake in the bottom. Don’t worry about the gelcoat, just sand and paint.
3. Build one out of HPDE with a lip at the top. Check out some tackle center inserts built the same.

seasick

Reaction score
1st grady said:
I had this model while back.
Two options.
1. Cut out a 3 inch section about 3 inches from the bottom and use this piece to “scab” over the new splice on the inside using stainless fasteners and some epoxy. I don’t think just epoxy will hold as it is an HDPE type of material which doesn’t glue well. Bevel/chamfer the edges of the scab.
2. Use the bucket as a mold for a fiberglass layup which will of course be a bit smaller but the lip should still work. Have to fake in the bottom. Don’t worry about the gelcoat, just sand and paint.
3. Build one out of HPDE with a lip at the top. Check out some tackle center inserts built the same.

There are adhesives that 'work' with HDPE. You can buy a small kit at Home Depot. The reviews have been mixed. I tried it and it seems to have worked but my application experiences a lot of stress so I would be surprised if it holds up over time. Body shops have special two part adhesives that are used for things like bumper cover repairs. Those are very effective. They also can fill gaps. Finally, there are glue sticks that can be used with a hot knife to weld HDPE. I have no experience with that kind of product.

Delta2020

Reaction score
Model
Islander
kbartler said:
Hi:

New to the forum. I have a 2000 268 Islander and was wondering if there is anything I can do to replace the plastic bucket insert in the Port Stern well. Its not a live well bucket, its just a plastic bucket. I am installing new pumps, and fuel filters/water separators in that area under the well bucket. The factory well bucket is too deep an gets to way of where I want to install the pumps.

Is there a way to order a new (less deep) well bucket insert or some sort of 2"-12" deep plastic tray to replace the bucket that is in there?

Or do I have to come up with some modification?

Thanks!
I also have the 268 Islander am in need of this same bucket if you no longer need it are you willing to sell it.Thanks