1990 Seafarer with 4 cycle Yamaha 225 sits low in the water

Bob Burd

Reaction score
Grady told me to try putting additional weight up front to offset the heavier 4 cycle engine. Some help, but the engine is still getting to much splash. Local mechanic suggested to raise the engine to the next hole on the Grady drive. Has anyone tried this and did it work, or did something else work better? The transponders were creating a rooster tail onto the engine but the electronics installer put a splash guard to blow the rooster tail down.
Thanks for any help you can provide. We did find 5 gallons of water in the Grady drive, which no doubt added to the problem. Replaced the drain bolt and we are going to reseal the drive to the transom.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Re: 1990 Seafarer with 4 cycle Yamaha 225 sits low in the wa

Did you own the boat before the electronics and/or 4-stroke were put on? In other words, is this a new issue?

It's quite possible the electronics (transducers) are installed wrong (too deep, for example). On plane, the weight of the engine is pretty much a moot point in terms of transducer rooster tail. The water coming off the end of the hull should come off the same regardless of the weight of the engine when on plane.

Where is the anti-ventilation plate as compared to the keel? VERY generally, the plate should be about 1" higher for every 1' it sits back from the transom.

Bob Burd

Reaction score

DennisG01 said:
Did you own the boat before the electronics and/or 4-stroke were put on? In other words, is this a new issue?

It's quite possible the electronics (transducers) are installed wrong (too deep, for example). On plane, the weight of the engine is pretty much a moot point in terms of transducer rooster tail. The water coming off the end of the hull should come off the same regardless of the weight of the engine when on plane.

Where is the anti-ventilation plate as compared to the keel? VERY generally, the plate should be about 1" higher for every 1' it sits back from the transom.

Thank you I gave your comments to the Marina and I also noticed that if the engine is to low it can cause a fair amount of spray onto the engine as well. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some direction. I used to live across the river from Allentown near the Jersey side of the water gap.

seasick

Reaction score

Although the mounting height of the motor will affect trim, performance, it doesn't affect how the boats sits in the water when not on plane.
If you had 5 gallons of water in the bracket, that adds about 38 pounds of weight. The 4s motor weighs about 60 pounds or so more than the original OX motor (assuming both were 225s). Adding that 100 pounds off the bracket will definitely cause the stern to sit lower but more importantly, it will probably change the angle of the hull at rest with respect to the water line with the bow being raised up. Adding weight forward can help level the hull in the water and by doing so, 'raise' the stern. Grady added about 100-200 pounds of 'ballast' up front in some models when they changed over to 4 stroke motors( single engine hulls).
That lessened the low stern condition but it does affect performance and efficiency. It's just like adding an additional passenger on the bow.

You may or may not need to change the mounting height but the two factors, mounting height and extra stern weight are separate and mostly independent issues.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter

Yes those 4 stroke motors are a lot heavier than the old 2 strokes.
As said above Grady moved ballast forward and so can you.
Relocate the batteries forward and you’ve moved about 100 lbs. off the stern.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

You might consider installing a forward gas tank if you boat doesn't already have one. My 1986 Seafarer had a ~70 gallon tank under the forward deck hatch in addition to the 96 gallon rear tank. I removed the forward tank and put in a storage locker for scuba tanks. 70 gallons is plenty for a 4-stroke engine unless you make long offshore runs.

Bazz

Reaction score

Moving he batteries forward would seem to be the easiest move. The 225’s most likely have 15-20ft of cable tucked in the back of that boat when installed. It will also give you a chance to inspect the rest of the wiring. If you indeed have an empty spot where the 70 gallon tank could be placed put them there.

There is another article online on another forum where the owner only used this 70 gallon tank to make the balance work.

seasick

Reaction score

Moving batteries may sound relatively easy but it can be complicated. The battery switches have to be close to the physical batteries to be safe and follow ABCY requirements. The size of the necessary cables will most likely greatly increase due to the additional cable run. The main breaker will also have to be moved as will all the power take offs from the switches. Any devices wired directly to the batteries have to be re-run also.
Note that the grounds probably also have to be resized.

UCPA111

Reaction score

I bought an 83 seafarer and it sat low with the 225 2 stroke and kicker motor on the back. I removed all of that...removed fuel tank and located in forward compartment. I am also redoing the transom to full height and installing a flotation bracket.