228 Rod Holders by Livewell

phil217

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my rod holders near the back livewell have finally all broken. I was wondering if anyone has replaced these and an idea of where to get these replaced? I see they just slide out. Would be nice to have them in Stainless to avoid breaking but I cant find them.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are these just standard, flush mount rod holders? These are pretty much the most common type of rod holder. ANY marine retailer will have these... in SS, too. Heck, just google ss rod holder and you'll get like a million results. If it's something out of the ordinary, can you post a picture? I looked on Grady's site at the 228 (arenow SS, fyi) and I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would be hard to find?

phil217

Reaction score
No these are towards the back of the boat and I still see them as being plastic.
IMG_6492.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, OK. Now I see what you're talking about. No, personally, I've never seen that exact style in SS, either. But, a couple ideas to throw out there...

-- The mounting brackets are likely OK since they are starboard, right? It's just the actual rod holder that is deteriorating from the UV because they're plastic? POSSIBLY, you could just replace the actual rod holders with "side mount rod holders" (google that). You might need to cut off the mounting ears or figure something out, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard - the SS side mounts might slide right into those existing holes and secure them with a screw or bolt/nut at the bottom.

-- Use side mounts, but mount them direct to the motor well, or to a sheet of starboard and then mount the starboard to the motor well (would be a little stronger this way and less stress on the motor well).

-- Another option is to change the style of the whole thing... check this out: http://tacomarine.com/category/rod_stor ... nd-Storage There are other brands, just linking this one to get you going... and it's easier to show you pictures than try and describe it! :)