Towing the Marlin

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've heard all the "pros and cons" of towing the Grady Marlin, and some either say yes or heck no!
I can only lend my experience... the '09 Chevy 2500 Duramax/Allison tows it just fine. Stopping is the issue. In my opinion, as long as you take it easy and keep a safe distance (really safe) the Chev will do just fine. Towed it from San Diego to Seattle, then up Vancouver Island and back in the past 6 months.

PS- I haven't yet added the tie-downs....

Attachments

• Nov 12 183 (640x480).jpg
    Nov 12 183 (640x480).jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 7,305

LastChance

Reaction score
Do you have electric over hydraulic disc brakes on your trailer? I have the same boat and a 2013 Denali HD truck.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes, converted the trailer to electric over hydraulic on all three axles as required by WA and BC. It did not come that way, with surge only on front two axles, which is how I towed it from Cali. Not the best setup going downhill through the grapevine and siskyous.....

LastChance

Reaction score
Have you considered adding air-bags to the 2500 suspension? I've been told this will add stability to the truck as the rig does tend to dipsy dooble a fair bit on certain dips in the road. They said it's like converting the truck to a 3500 non dually. Also, you can adjust tongue height with air bags to balance the load over the three axles.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Funny, I posted this pic on the Duramax site after I posted here, and made sure I included tie downs and air bag description in the post. You can see there are no tie-downs and if you look closely the rear end should be up higher.

I did have air bags installed this spring. In this picture I haven't activated them, but did so at a gas station up the road for $1.25. In the picture they are at 20psi and I normally tow this rig around 80psi, adds about 8 inches to the rear end which ends up being 4-6 inches when loaded with the boat. It helps a ton in levelling, which improves towing comfort, and even if it doesn't truly help the suspension spring leafs, I think it softens any jolting force on them.

Cheap, good addition. Also added mud flaps to the rear wheel wells to keep the rocks off the hull....

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
LastChance said:
Do you have electric over hydraulic disc brakes on your trailer? I have the same boat and a 2013 Denali HD truck.

Last Chance, do you have a trailer for your boat? They are pretty spendy for what you get, but I sure like the versatility to be able to get it out of the water for a rinse, oil change/service, through hulls etc... without having to pay for space at the local yard. Plus we save some $ up the island in fuel, if you don't count the wear and tear on the pickup.

LastChance

Reaction score
Angler Management said:
Last Chance, do you have a trailer for your boat? They are pretty spendy for what you get, but I sure like the versatility to be able to get it out of the water for a rinse, oil change/service, through hulls etc... without having to pay for space at the local yard. Plus we save some $ up the island in fuel, if you don't count the wear and tear on the pickup.

Yes. I bought a LoadRite Aluminum Triple Axle E/H 3 axle disc brakes bunk trailer from Beacon Light Marina where I bought the boat. Shipped the boat on the trailer from Baltimore to Bellingham using U-Ship. Met my hauler at a Bellingham rest stop and brought the rig across the border into Canada. Don't do a lot of trailering but it is nice to have for the things you mention.

ferry1_xga-0.jpg

dscn2011_xga-0.jpg

home2_xga-0.jpg

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looks great! I remember seeing your post when I was researching the border crossing. Great boat for Vancouver Island! My trailer is magic tilt, and I'm amazed at how easily the boat loads. Enjoy.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
If you folks have target bunks up front, could you take some photos for me? I have them but think they are not spaced correctly.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sorry this took me awhile to get back to you....
Here are photos of my trailer. If you need specific dimensions let me know, my time is getting more free now that the holidays are over, crabbing is done, and salmon is winding down!

Randy

Attachments

• Jan 14 002 (480x640).jpg
    Jan 14 002 (480x640).jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 6,956
  • Jan 14 003 (480x640).jpg
    Jan 14 003 (480x640).jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 6,955

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos. They will help in adjusting my target bunks. My side thruster gets caught on the edge of the target bunk. Now I see that the target bunks need to move beck a bit.

Randy II

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Nice boat and trailer set up. I noticed that you have a brake-rite E/H. Those things work great. However, a word of caution. Do not let the accessory battery die. The whole system goes down. I.E. no failsafe brakes. I know because I HAD the same system until I went to tow home and brakes were not funtioning. Safe boating. If you want to chat more feel free to PM me.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I found the same thing. Despite my compliance with Washington State law and having a "backup", second battery, after a long period of non-use I was without brakes due to both batteries not being fully charged. A few minutes hooked up to the truck solved it.

Second battery. Eeesh.

RC

dale1

Reaction score
greetings. I tow a 265 express about 6 thousand miles per year. EOH brakes are a big improvement. I havent had any issues with the GA or FL police. dale
A duely is also effective. My truck cost much more than my boat.