Grady White 275 Repowered with G2's

wadeatl

Reaction score
I had a Yamaha F350 that ingested water which destroyed the motor. The motor was out of warranty so it was a major kick in the $&%^. I am over the drama over the 350 and in some ways wished I would have done a bit more research prior to buying my GW 275 with the POS Yamaha 350. At the same time I'm glad I did buy the GW275 as I love the boat ... its is perfect for our family boating wishes.

I just had twin Evinrude E-Tec G2 200HO's installed and had the first few days to be out on the water. First impressions ... amazing ... she is like a completely different boat. The boat lifts out of the water and has a feeling of staying on top of the water unlike with the F350. Not nearly as quiet ... this thing roars ... and this can be good and bad ..... too me so far .. I like it. I am getting better speed, MPG on Cruise and Top End. The boat is loaded heavy with a an almost full 200 gallons of fuel. It will be interesting to see how things change as the fuel load is closer to normal at 80-100 gallons.

I'm not sure how to post pictures so I hope the link to the THT will work ... http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... -g2-s.html

Attachments

• G2 boat.JPG
    G2 boat.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 2,730
  • G2 51.JPG
    G2 51.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,729
  • G2 33.JPG
    G2 33.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 2,728

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great looking boat.

I see you are in Cumming. Do you keep it on Lanier? Also, who did your repower?

wadeatl

Reaction score
Thanks Parthery ..

Wayde at Gwinnett Marine did the repower .. I also was working with Michael at the Grass Shack on the Suzuki's. The main selling point for me is the no service for 5 years .. I had to take the F350 to Gainesville marina twice in a year for 100 hour service's (bought it this time last year with 40 hours into the last service). The cost is one thing on the services but losing a half of a day of travel to drop off the boat and another to pick it from any the shops was another big part of the decision ...... I actually saw you coming our of Six Mile the morning the F350 blew (end of January). We were fishing at the "farm" in Six Mile while you were running out.

On fuel performance ... I didn't mention in the previous post that the trolling MPG/GPH was amazing. I could shut one motor down and run one to troll U-Rigs. I wish I would have recorded my mileage at different speeds but really do not remember the exact numbers. I do know that my cruise was always around 2.2 and I believe it was closer to 30 mph. I hope to get out again next weekend and will share more on the performance.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That thing flies ! Sorry to bring up your bad experience, but what exactly happened to the 350 ? How did it ingest water ?

wadeatl

Reaction score
Harpoon ... Here is the link at THT about the what happened with water in the Yamaha 350 ... Yamaha and I gave up on the failure analysis when they decided there we not going to support the rebuild (was out of warranty). My gut feeling is that water was trapped in the motor and froze just prior to in taking it water ... it was January this year.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... ers-8.html

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Love hearing about these new G2's. Keep us posted on how they are doing from time to time. That 2.5mpg is impressive at 33mph if I am reading it right.

Tom, haven't heard from you in a while in regards to how yours are doing?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks like a rocket ship...... Good luck with those.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Love hearing about these new G2's. Keep us posted on how they are doing from time to time. That 2.5mpg is impressive at 33mph if I am reading it right.

Tom, haven't heard from you in a while in regards to how yours are doing?

No issues, reaching 160 hrs. Boat will be in before Memorial day. Installing a freshwater flush head to replace the OEM seawater flush unit and adding Simrad auto pilot. Tis the season.............Finally !

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good to hear they are going well! I like following on these G2's. I am intrigued and think they would be the only smart choice if I ever decide to repower my HPDI's. Overall the HPDI's are great, but this annoying idle issue is starting to make me want to change them out. Otherwise, once they are warmed up, they are killer! Hope my mechanic can get time to check into them. Has been many weeks now and he is still too busy. He also is not clear what might be causing the issue, so this might be one of those hard to diagnose issues going on....

Keep us posted on how these G2's are doing!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can you get a close up of the covers? They look to be white with silver or grey stripes.

wadeatl

Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
Can you get a close up of the covers? They look to be white with silver or grey stripes.

Ky Grady .. The stripes are silver and blue .. the blue is a pretty close match to the pinstripe on the 275.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
wadeatl said:
Ky Grady said:

Ky Grady .. The stripes are silver and blue .. the blue is a pretty close match to the pinstripe on the 275.

Thanks. Nice looking ride.